Turkey Hunting Reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a 19 yr old out today that is handicapped. I had 3 different long-beards within 30 yards and one good one at 20 but he could not be still. He spooked every bird we called in just fidgeting. Turning his head fast, wiggling his gun, etc. It was frustrating but he had fun and got to go on his first turkey hunt. I was going to put him in a blind but when I went out to roost the birds last night, I could not hear them fly up and they never gobbled so I was not confident enough to set the blind up. They were right where they were supposed to be at daybreak and we had 4 big toms close. The first one in saw him move at 20 yrds through a cedar and walked the other way without putting. The other 3 were following the hens and soon as the hens got around the tree where they could see us...he moved and spooked them. We were on him all morning but he just could not be still. His mom told me it is fetal alcohol syndrome and they adopted him as a child and had no idea he had it. Oh well, it is a day he will remember for a long time and he got to hear a bunch of gobbling. Lets hear from you other guys and hopefully see some pics.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a 19 yr old out today that is handicapped. I had 3 different long-beards within 30 yards and one good one at 20 but he could not be still. He spooked every bird we called in just fidgeting. Turning his head fast, wiggling his gun, etc. It was frustrating but he had fun and got to go on his first turkey hunt. I was going to put him in a blind but when I went out to roost the birds last night, I could not hear them fly up and they never gobbled so I was not confident enough to set the blind up. They were right where they were supposed to be at daybreak and we had 4 big toms close. The first one in saw him move at 20 yrds through a cedar and walked the other way without putting. The other 3 were following the hens and soon as the hens got around the tree where they could see us...he moved and spooked them. We were on him all morning but he just could not be still. His mom told me it is fetal alcohol syndrome and they adopted him as a child and had no idea he had it. Oh well, it is a day he will remember for a long time and he got to hear a bunch of gobbling. Lets hear from you other guys and hopefully see some pics.

Sounds like a successful hunt. Great job on getting him out there. :clap3:
I'm still chomping at the bit to get out in the woods. Hopefully I'll be able to get out at least for a day this weekend.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll go scout those birds again in a couple days and have him in a blind. I think I can keep him hidden from the turkeys that way and maybe at least get him a shot. We spooked some birds but never shot at them so maybe they will not be too spooky. I think we worked at least 6 different toms this morning. My best year on this place I took several kids out and between me and those I took, we killed 10 toms and there were still 3 or 4 left. It is a honey hole.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have any pics, but I shot a nice bird with my long bow yesterday morning at about 7:30. He had a 8 3/4'' beard and 1 1/4'' spurrs. I was pretty pumped about it. For sure not my biggest, but with a stick it doesn't matter.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I struck out today at Lexington...didn't even see a turkey the whole day. Heard a few gobbles in the distance, but wasn't sure if it was the guy in the next field over or an actual tom. I'll probably go back tomorrow. Hopefully others faired better than I did.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a honey hole.

A true honey hole.
I think back 10 years ago in Ok when only the "elite" pay for play places could guarantee a turkey.
I was leaving PC tonight after a visit to the Tax man and saw a nice tom fly across the road just south of the Dixie Dog Restaurant. Right in town. Its great that the conservation efforts of organizations and the state have made something like this possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom