Turkey Hunting Reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put a blind out last night a little before sundown near where some turkeys have been strutting in the mornings. They still came by but behind me where I didn't have a port open and then another bird came out and acted nervous of the blind and walked off. Had to go to work early. Try again later.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out this morning, and got to the wheatfield where they have been strutting. Getting there pretty late, I spotted 4 does on one end of the field, and 2 on the other.
They weren't too concerned about me being there, and continued to feed while I set up. They spooked and took off for no reason that I could see, but a few minutes later two coyotes showed up about 300 yds away and then went into the woods. Shortly afterward, turkey started flushing from the trees and flying across the river.
The coyotes came back up into the field, and I lip squeeked them and they came running. About 100 yds out, they split with one upwind of me and the other circling to get down wind. When he slipped thru the trees he was 70 yds behind me and stopped. I could tell he smelled my scent, so I gave him a load of 5's to send him on his way. At that range all they would do is sting him, but Maybe they will stay away for awhile.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I went out last night and worked a group of birds in a field last night, I was in the creek below the field.. They came 20 yards away but were through a fence and brush. I knew this was there but didn't expect them to come that way.. The hens went to the other side of the field to roost, so the gobblers turned around seen the hens were leaving and hauled but over to them.. So i packed up my camera bow, and blind to leave.. and what do ya know , I hear a tom gobble directly behind me.. I take my sling off , put the release back on , and stand up behind a huge tree with my bow on the right side... I called one time and they gobbled.. I saw a jake about 45 yards ahead, and another one behind him.. The one behind the jake was HUGE.. 10" plus beard, one of the biggest beards I have ever seen on a turkey.. The two start on a b-line right at me.. well here i am with my bow on the wrong side of the tree with turkeys at 30 yards now.. All I could do was hear the leaves crunching as they were getting closer.. so i drew my bow and started to move it to the other side of the tree.. first mistake was, I was to close to the tree.. I leaned back and let weight off my bow I guess, and it came down and scraped the bark on the tree, well needless to say the birds ran off being about 10 ft away, and I missed out on that opportunity.. goin north tomorrow for some all day hunting with my brother.. good luck this weekend!!

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today, while signing out for tomorrow's hunt on Fort Sill I found out that a Comanche county record was set. A young man that was hunting on Fort Sill during the youth weekend shot a 22 lbs bird with 3 beards. I don't remember what it scored but it was the highest scoring for the county, the 22nd highest atypical for the state and the 58th highest overall. It hasn't been posted on the NWTF record site yet. Congrats to that young man and whoever took him hunting. And Kudos to Fort Sill for their first ever youth weekend. We have a new turkey hunter for life! :clap3:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today, while signing out for tomorrow's hunt on Fort Sill I found out that a Comanche county record was set. A young man that was hunting on Fort Sill during the youth weekend shot a 22 lbs bird with 3 beards. I don't remember what it scored but it was the highest scoring for the county, the 22nd highest atypical for the state and the 58th highest overall. It hasn't been posted on the NWTF record site yet. Congrats to that young man and whoever took him hunting. And Kudos to Fort Sill for their first ever youth weekend. We have a new turkey hunter for life! :clap3:

Congrats on the new turkey hunter! Gotta get those young ones into the sport. :D:D
A Question. How does one register an atypical turkey? I won a national contest a couple of years ago with a 3 beard, and the next year got a 4 beard.
I do have pics.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P8160124.jpg

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the new turkey hunter! Gotta get those young ones into the sport. :D:D
A Question. How does one register an atypical turkey? I won a national contest a couple of years ago with a 3 beard, and the next year got a 4 beard.
I do have pics.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P8160124.jpg

Dennis - Here is the link on how to register a bird. From what I read there is no time limit so you can still get your birds registered.
http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/slam_directions.html

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis - According to the records the bird from 2007 ranks 24th Atypical and 26th overall for the state of Oklahoma. I'd like to know what your 4 beard bird scored.

Latest posts

Top Bottom