Turkey Hunting Reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to do some scouting up at Canton today in the late afternoon (took the gun along just in case I got lucky and found a tom), the wind was so bad I didn't see or hear anything until I was trekking through some brush and surprised an armadillo. O.o

I found a couple of places that would probably make good spots to set up in the morning. Hopefully the wind calms down a bit overnight and I can find a nice dumb tom in the morning.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't have any pics, but I shot a nice bird with my long bow yesterday morning at about 7:30. He had a 8 3/4'' beard and 1 1/4'' spurrs. I was pretty pumped about it. For sure not my biggest, but with a stick it doesn't matter.

Way to go. You are the man. That is one tough job to accomplish with a bow and especially a longbow. My congrats too.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats. Wish I could have gotten some pics. I am in the process of building some broadheads that are more or less head choppers. They are two blades about 4'' long in the shape of a V. I'll put them on straight fletched arrows. So now the next thing to do is chop ones head off!

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get out and now I have to coach my kids' soccer games this weekend because their coaches are both gone. Poor pitiful me...

Don't have any pics, but I shot a nice bird with my long bow yesterday morning at about 7:30. He had a 8 3/4'' beard and 1 1/4'' spurrs. I was pretty pumped about it. For sure not my biggest, but with a stick it doesn't matter.

Were you in a blind?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a buddy of mine out on a property this morning, heard one bird gobbling his head off but it was about two hills over from where we were. So we started humpin it, about a mile and a half worth up and down hills in SE Oklahoma... it was a rough walk on a bit of a hangover! Finally get pretty close to where he is and we start setting up. He is fired up... gobble gobble gobble, over and over. I start getting a little suspicious, then I start hearing chickens. We had walked all the way to the back of the property and was getting set up on someone's chicken coup! haha Damnit! Oh well, it was a beautiful morning to be out, and I know in the future not to go after that bird on the far side of the property!

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were you in a blind?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was in a double bull. It was ordered a bit taller to benefit the traditional bows. Last year I shot a younger gobbler with out the blind. Just hid behind a small bush until he circle to where I could get off a shot.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is a dumb question, but when using ground blinds, do the blinds themselves still need to be hidden, or can they essentially be in the open (not smack in the middle of a field though, I understand)?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a dumb question, but when using ground blinds, do the blinds themselves still need to be hidden, or can they essentially be in the open (not smack in the middle of a field though, I understand)?

For turkey no brush required as long as the inside is nice and dark. Smack in the middle of an open field works too as long as the blind isn't shining and is good and dark inside.

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out this morning and didn't have much time before work so I setup my blind and called for a couple of hours. I got a lot of gobbles early in the morning so I sat tight and yelped every now and then and everything stopped. I figured I parked my truck in the wrong spot and got up to walk to the other side of the place to call a little while. I got over there and turned and looked back at my blind to see 4 or 5 turkeys right out front checking out my decoy. My uncle pulls up to check his cows about the same time and they quickly walk off. I figure I can get back and sit tight and maybe get them back. Well another hour and a half pass by and I need to get back home to get ready for work. I break my blind down and lay it on the ground and walk back to the truck. Sure enough as I'm walking to the truck, I see a head pop up over the ridge and duck back down darting the left through the timber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom