Turkey Season 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got to take one of the landowners and his son, that I trap on, on a youth turkey hunt this afternoon. Spotted 4 jakes, 2 long beards and 5 hens traveling across a wheat field. We were able to get in front of them and get set up. As I sit down from putting up a decoy, I spot a lone hen's head staring at me. She just kept coming though, bringing the rest of crowd with her, passing just 30 yards away. He was able to take one of the long beards, his first turkey. After the shot, the bird rolled down into the almost dry pond and began to thrash and throw muddy water everywhere, wet feathers don't make a very good pic of the fan, so we got what we could get with the pics. 10" beard, 1" spurs and 20lbs.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_7671_1364769026220_zps1e35bea3.jpg

I think I know that barn... so how's the other long beard? I am taking a 12 yo this weekend and will be calling you for the Elk tickets if you are around!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I know that barn... so how's the other long beard? I am taking a 12 yo this weekend and will be calling you for the Elk tickets if you are around!

I'll be around, give me a call. They other long beard was the same. Heard birds gobbling south of your dads the other morning when I went out to listen at day light last week, probably a half mile south and back to the west, sounded like quite a few of them. There's a large flock of hens hanging out by themselves too, not sure what that's all about, I've seen them three times and not one tom to be found with them.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad has seen those hen's as well and he didn't know why. Where you heard the birds is the honey hole in my opinion. They seem to either start or end their day there. My avatar is about 100 yards away from that 4 corners.

Congrats on the hunt too. Didn't say that in the first post.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Dad has seen those hen's as well and he didn't know why. Where you heard the birds is the honey hole in my opinion. They seem to either start or end their day there. My avatar is about 100 yards away from that 4 corners.

Congrats on the hunt too. Didn't say that in the first post.

I would agree, everything a bird could want and no roads.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took nephew out in the am and a friend's son in the pm. Nephew missed a shot at 15 yrds after working the bird in for 45 mins. My brother had slipped a 3" mag in on him and he was not interested in shooting again. Buddies son got a decent bird in a quick hunt. Had a great time getting the kids out.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365003306063.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365003306063.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 165

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rought start to the season for me. Hunted hard most of the day but came up empty handed. Had a couple of birds fired up and gobbling their heads off about 10:30, but they hung up and never got much closer than 100 yards.

How did everyone else do?

Latest posts

Top Bottom