Turkey Season 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been looking forward to turkey season for a long time and skipped this weekend! Wife bought me a new four wheeler so I took her riding and shooting yesterday.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a newb out after church for his first turkey hunt. He offered to pay me but I made him swear to never go back on the place and took him. He is a friends grown son. I started calling when we hit the timber and called every 30 yrds till we got to the blind. I had him get in the blind and I set a strutter decoy out with a hen and got into the blind. We had heard no gobbles at all and I started unzipping windows when I saw a big bird at 25 yrds. My first thought was...I thought I put the decoy on the other side of the blind....then it hit me and I started trying to get him into position to shoot but the bird walked behind a brush pile and walked away only gobbling once. I told him there were more around and I called out the window a couple times and was watching all around. I stuck my box call out the window and called and looked out and there was another big bird on the other side of us at 35 yrds. I got him in position and the bird started to walk away but when I called, he turned and started back toward us. About that time the bird behind us gobbled and the one in front came in walking slowly. I told him when he got an open shot to dump it. He was shooting my Benelli SBE with 3 1/2" 5s and dropped the bird at 30 yrds. He was one excited kid. I love watching a newbs face when they get a game animal. He is a chef by trade and is supposed to make it up good and have me over to eat some. I am having a hard time getting the phone pic to my computer so I will post the pic in the next post from my phone.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365369358687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365369358687.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 165

Diggerman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Suckered this one in Saturday morning about 15 minutes after fly down. turk.jpg He had two hens with him but he really wanted one more! Not a monster, 17 lbs with a 7 1/2 inch beard but I was happy to get him. He put on quite a show.:clap3:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice Lonnie and Diggerman!! My daughter and I had these birds at 80y for almost 45 min and they would never budge. 4 long beards, 8 jakes and 5 hens camped on the edge of the wheat field. Not even a gobble. Where they were, there wasn't anyway get closer or around them so we waited them out, called a little about every 10 minutes, hoping a tom would break away, but they never did. Got to watch a lot of good turkey behaivor though.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_31857_1365384155418_zps2b28b446.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom