Turkey Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When is a good time of day to go hunt em? Weather? I only deer hunt so I don't really know anything about turkey.

Assuming you're hunting Rio's, early season birds seems to stay flocked together most of the day. Setup where they like to fly down and they'll usually travel a certain direction after flying down, be in that spot. As the season progresses, and hens get bred, the flocks tend to split up. It's not uncommon to find toms wandering alone or in pairs during the mid day and throughout the afternoon. This is a perfect time to call them in, and they may come in without ever gobbling. I try not to hunt anywhere close to the evening roost area, I like them to feel like they can always come bed each night. Then game on the next day again if need be.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When is a good time of day to go hunt em? Weather? I only deer hunt so I don't really know anything about turkey.
That's a long story, and not everything I'm going to tell you works 100% of the time. They are wild animals and don't always react the way we as humans think they should.
They will hang together, most likely before hunting season and breed by cutting out individual hens. Once bred, the hens are on their own and go nest.
During the night, they roost in trees, generally in the same place every night, so when scouting, look for turkey droppings and feathers concentrated in an area. In the very early morning an hour before sun up be about 100-200 yds away from the roost. When they fly down you have a chance of calling them in if there are more toms than hens. The biggest-baddest toms will gather a harem of 2 or more hens to breed and the other toms will be on the prowl for stray hens. If the toms are "hen'd up" with their harem, chances are slim to none getting one in to your call. Mid afternoon, they seem to break up to feed, and toward evening they feed heavy before heading back to roost. Another good time to call one.
I don't know there is a perfect time to hunt one, but like has been said, you have to be out there to see what YOUR birds are doing. Watch em with binoculars, follow from a distance, but never get close enough to make them nervous.
Personally, I do better later in the season when people get bored hunting them, and they have bred the hens in their area. They will wander all over the place looking for another hen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom