Two cars found at bottom of Foss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibly 40 years of decay and retrieval damage?
Maybe/probably. It's messed up in back.
The older car doesn't display damage anything like camaro but the cars in the 50's were made with thicker sheet metal. probably depends on how stuck in the mud they were too.
Or, they could have been parked lakeside and someone rammed them from behind by accident.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just before President Kennedy was shot, a wealthy OKC woman and her crippled daughter went missing in a new Caddy. The Kennedy story pushed the search out of the light rather quickly. Then in about '88 or so, the duck pond at Hefner was very low, and the top of the Caddy, with a big hole rusted in it, was seen. The car was recovered with the skeletons of the mom and daughter, a bunch of diamond jewelry, and part of a bottle of Jack. Daughter was crippled from an earlier accident while riding with her drunk mom.

Not sure of the date, but I think late '90s, a stolen car was recovered from the southwest corner of Overholser. There was one skeleton in it, presumably that of the car thief.

This stuff happens now and then, and for some reason seems to fasciate nearly everyone. Stories start, get expanded upon, and take on a life of their own.

http://newsok.com/rites-monday-for-women-missing-27-years/article/2315523

http://newsok.com/sunken-car-was-stolen-police-say/article/2477453

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just before President Kennedy was shot, a wealthy OKC woman and her crippled daughter went missing in a new Caddy. The Kennedy story pushed the search out of the light rather quickly. Then in about '88 or so, the duck pond at Hefner was very low, and the top of the Caddy, with a big hole rusted in it, was seen. The car was recovered with the skeletons of the mom and daughter, a bunch of diamond jewelry, and part of a bottle of Jack. Daughter was crippled from an earlier accident while riding with her drunk mom.

Not sure of the date, but I think late '90s, a stolen car was recovered from the southwest corner of Overholser. There was one skeleton in it, presumably that of the car thief.

This stuff happens now and then, and for some reason seems to fasciate nearly everyone. Stories start, get expanded upon, and take on a life of their own.

I thought people concluded the lady with her daughter committed suicide. Maybe that was just a story I heard growing up like you mentioned.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Grandparents lived just west of there and was there visiting when that happened, remember it well. We fished in that pond some, especially when it was hot, a lot more shade than Hefner.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My maternal grandfather's land was condemned for that dam, I was present at the dedication, I must have been 6 or 8. You could drive across the dam and see an old red shale hill that was on grandpa's land for several years after the dam was built.

When I was 17 the party place was at Sandy Beach, at that time it was on the west side of the lake, if you look where 73 turns north south you see a road named "Sandy Beach Road" (imagine that). That beach was under water for several years. And there was a new sandy beach on the north end of the dam just below the dam istself. If I'm not mistaken, all the sandy on either sandy beach ahd to be trucked in because the Washita river has little or no sand. I dont remember there being a boat dock down there (on 2100) in '70, but, I didn't have a boat, just a pick up.
It's been a couple of years since I drove across the dam, but I know the lake level is down, maybe somewhere close to the same level as it was in 1970.

Even in 1970 Hext was pretty much just a name on the map. Sayre would have been about 40 miles from there the short way and about 65 the long was (VIA Foss and I 40).

I had one uncle that lived right below the dam until he passed away a few years ago.

I think there was actually a bridge across right along there some where, Right there where 73 turns south, you can go north all the way down to the lake (or you could), afriend of mine actually lived right on the north curve with his uncle, I think his aunt may still live there.

I spent a night or two enjoying the revelry on Sandy Beach.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My maternal grandfather's land was condemned for that dam, I was present at the dedication, I must have been 6 or 8. You could drive across the dam and see an old red shale hill that was on grandpa's land for several years after the dam was built.

When I was 17 the party place was at Sandy Beach, at that time it was on the west side of the lake, if you look where 73 turns north south you see a road named "Sandy Beach Road" (imagine that). That beach was under water for several years. And there was a new sandy beach on the north end of the dam just below the dam istself. If I'm not mistaken, all the sandy on either sandy beach ahd to be trucked in because the Washita river has little or no sand. I dont remember there being a boat dock down there (on 2100) in '70, but, I didn't have a boat, just a pick up.
It's been a couple of years since I drove across the dam, but I know the lake level is down, maybe somewhere close to the same level as it was in 1970.

Even in 1970 Hext was pretty much just a name on the map. Sayre would have been about 40 miles from there the short way and about 65 the long was (VIA Foss and I 40).

I had one uncle that lived right below the dam until he passed away a few years ago.

I think there was actually a bridge across right along there some where, Right there where 73 turns south, you can go north all the way down to the lake (or you could), afriend of mine actually lived right on the north curve with his uncle, I think his aunt may still live there.

I spent a night or two enjoying the revelry on Sandy Beach.

I remember parties at Sandy Beach. I have not been out there in years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom