TX Man Convicted of Murder, Stand Your Ground Law Defense Rejected

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HOUSTON -- A retired Houston-area firefighter faces up to life in prison after a jury convicted him of murder for gunning down his unarmed neighbor during a dispute over a noisy house party.

Raul Rodriguez, 47, argued he was within his rights under Texas' version of a stand-your-ground law when he killed Kelly Danaher in 2010. The trial's punishment phase, which will include further testimony, was scheduled to begin Thursday.

Rodriguez was angry about the noise coming from Danaher's home, where the family was having a birthday party for Danaher's wife and young daughter. Rodriguez went to the home and got into an argument with Danaher, a 36-year-old elementary school teacher, and two other men who were at the party.

In a 22-minute video he recorded the night of the shooting, Rodriguez can be heard telling a police dispatcher "my life is in danger now" and "these people are going to go try and kill me." He then said "I'm standing my ground here," and shot Danaher after somebody appeared to grab his camera. The two other men were wounded.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_833.shtml

You can see the videotape of the incident that Rodriguez recorded on this page. Look for the video right under KHOU.com
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/...texas-man-kills-teacher-over-noise-complaint/

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good.

Make an example of him and broadcast it to the ends of the earth so more idiots who think like this will hopefully get the message.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
His video alone convicted him! This brain dead idiot will have the rest of his life in prison to constantly remind himself that his original complaint [loud music] would have resulted in a $100-$200 fine at the most if the police had cited the homeowners,.... but he killed one man, seriously wounded 2 others and now he is spending the rest of his life in prison away from his family.

B

Bill Mac

I loved how the idiot said "my life is in danger now" and "these people are going to go try and kill me." He then said "I'm standing my ground here,"! Wanted to make sure that he could get that into his defense strategy. What imbecile would think that would work when he was just a big bully in the first place?

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What an idiot. While it would be nice if this just helped make other idiots like him think twice.. it will probably be used as propaganda to make people think this is just "what gunowners do".

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. Before you shoot somebody:
STOP
Take a breath.
Think about it.

Even better, before you put yourself in a situation that might turn out badly...think about it. Stand your ground doesn't give you the right to initiate a confrontation and then use your gun to save your own dumb ass.

He strapped on a gun and went outside his home to confront a neighbor about a party...idiot. Rot in jail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom