Ultimate Outdoor Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't mess around in the kiddie pool. I only do peanut hay and only then if grown in blow sand.
That is hands-down the roughest hay I ever hauled. Yer lucky if one pair of jeans will get ya through the job.

Cattle eat it like candy though. :D

FWIW, sand (or a sand-combo) is about the only soil where ya can grow it. A young farmer in this area told me he once moved his peanut allotment to some blackland acreage he'd bought.

He harvested one trailer-load, and it cost him the load of peanuts plus $80 to get 'em cleaned (the blackland really stuck to the peanuts). So he lost that whole crop. And... he had to wait two years to move his allotment back to the sandy soil. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is hands-down the roughest hay I ever hauled. Yer lucky if one pair of jeans will get ya through the job.

FWIW, sand (or a sand-combo) is about the only soil where ya can grow it. A young farmer in this area told me he once moved his peanut allotment to some blackland acreage he'd bought.

He harvested one trailer-load, and it cost him the load of peanuts plus $80 to get 'em cleaned (the blackland really stuck to the peanuts). So he lost that whole crop. And... he had to wait two years to move his allotment back to the sandy soil. :D
Learned something new today.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes and we have plenty of sand around here. I've not seen a field of peanuts in years though. The dryer isn't even there anymore. When I was a kid working on the farm we would start digging peanuts and it was pretty much night and day till they were thrashed. Roads would be full of tractors, each pulling 4-6 peanut trailers and heading to the dryer.

The other big crop was watermelons. Nowadays, you rarely see anything but sod. Kinda sad in a way.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm approx 5 miles north of the Willis bridge (ha! we're practically neighbors), and it's literally blow-sand starting a couple miles south of here. I've seen it on windy days when Hwy 377 was pretty much blind in some places because of the sand/dust.

However, I don't get out enough anymore to know what's going on locally. Not sure whether the old places are growing peanuts these days or not, but I do know that some of the old peanut farmers are gone. :/

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm approx 5 miles north of the Willis bridge (ha! we're practically neighbors), and it's literally blow-sand starting a couple miles south of here. I've seen it on windy days when Hwy 377 was pretty much blind in some places because of the sand/dust.

However, I don't get out enough anymore to know what's going on locally. Not sure whether the old places are growing peanuts these days or not, but I do know that some of the old peanut farmers are gone. :/

All the old peanut fields around here are now either sod or hay. Dad told me last week he found some local melons (yellow) and I saw a truck selling some on the side of the road last night so there must be at least one surviving patches around somewhere. I do see a few bean, corn and maize fields around but by and large, farming in this area is dead.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
And on the eighth day, the Lord created these lol.

1c007cd5-66b2-4483-a73b-2da413c3d33a.jpg
20150607_172111_zpsyd3rftme.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hehe, I actually had several of the giant square bales given to me by a local farmer/customer. They had sat in a field until the (hemp) strings had rotted.

I had hogs (and a recent heart attack) at the time, so a friend loaded them on my 16ft flatbed trailer with a pitchfork (he's a really good friend). It was a terribly cold & wet period during that winter, so we (actually he) put them in the finishing hog pen for bedding (again, with a pitchfork).

It saved a lot of hogs, though we still lost a few due to them piling on top of each other in the cold.

I wanna say "good times," but it's actually hard to pull very many good memories from that time period... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom