Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister in law survived a direct hit to her house. It was a two story house. She was in the bathroom underneath the stair case (no tub in there). It was the only room left standing.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i had mine put in after yhe may 3rd 2003 tornado. i filed for the fema rebate , took almost 2 years to get. at that time you had to pay upfront then wait for the rebate

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What do you suggest? Anchoring it down? Burying it? How do you secure the doors from the inside? Is the skin thick enough? What do they cost?

I have heard of people burying the containers. We just bought a 40' long by 9.5' tall container at work and paid just under $5000 for it. It will be used for storage at work, but that would take a considerable amount of time and effort to get in the ground. Empty the damn thing weighs 10,000 pounds!

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently business is good because flat safe hasnt found it ib their schedule to follow up with me after a request for quote over a week ago! I have a strict policy against giving people my hard earned money if they dont want to work for it!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those who have the amount of land to sustain it...One word...shipping container.

Well, it's two words but it's one concept.

Can you provide pictures of what the inside of your buried shipping container looks like? I'd really like to see how you finished the inside of it. Also, how did you seal up the doors? I'd imagine you'd have to do something to keep it water tight since the rubber seals on the doors weren't made for being buried in the dirt. Really would like to see the pics. Thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom