University owned house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is not the correct section for this, please move the correct section.

My sister is moving into a house that is owned by a University in Oklahoma. I understand that university facilities are no carry zones. Does that apply to University owned homes as well? Will the answer change depending on whether or not a school sanctioned activity was occurring (i.e. something that involved students)

Not to get into specifics, but my BIL is the head coach for one of the sports teams and discounted rent in school owned housing is a benefit...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's left up to the individual institution; I'd check their housing policies. If you can't find an appropriate policy online, a quick call to their housing office ought to clear it up.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there more than one way to interpret this?:

"No person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college, university, or technology center school property, except as provided in this subsection."

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

"No person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college, university, or technology center school property, except as provided in this subsection."

I tend to agree with this...and none of the exceptions include housing in any form.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Depends--how does that interact with contract and landlord/tenant law? That's why lawyers get paid the big bucks and why we have a judicial system. That's also why I suggested checking the institution's housing policies...

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that SS21-1281.1 specificaly makes an exception..

"School property" means any publicly or privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational technical education, and shall not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for purposes other than educational.

Also, SS21-1277 states the following exceptions, as well:

Any property authorized for possession or use of handguns by college, university, or technology center school policy; and
3. Any property authorized by the written consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid handgun license while on college, university, or technology center school property.

Bottom Line... GET IT IN WRITING!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom