Unsolved Murders..how to re-open or help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

With all that has happened(Nichols Hills Firechief) and a possible lead on the Weleetka crime, it got me thinking. How does a person...non-police, just a plain civilian obtain records on unsolved murders? Is there a timeline..I'm speaking specifically about unsolved,cold case murders.

I know a murder case is never fully closed,just shelved until a lead or information come in to reopen it. Watching a few crime shows(never watched many) it seems that somehow a person/civilian gets and obtains records or information to help with a real cold case. ***This is where I may be remiss*** How does a person obtain records...aren't they sealed or held for criminal investigators...only?

I have seen autopsy forms released on the internet....but never understood how it was done or who did it.

***With all that has transpired in the last few weeks, it got me to thinking waaay back to 1982 and the Orbach murders here in Okc. My inlaws live a few blocks from the Orbach house(crime scene) and Sunday my wife and I took her mother out for dinner. We drove past the house and I made mention how that case was never solved. I remember as a younger man shopping at Orbachs in 50 Penn place, and the murder being on the news.

So.....how or can a person obtain information on unsolved/cold case situations. When do ...or if they do...crime scene records become public. Its made to look so easy on cold case tv shows,how a civilian helps to solve the unresolved case.

Thanks
Cohiba

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No...not evidence. That could never be released. It just seems that people have or obtained files on cases.
Again, I may be totally incorrect. That is an excellent idea though, I may call OCPD and ask them.
I thought there might be some law enforcement on this site that could fill in the gaps for me.

Cobiba

chubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Through the freedom of information act, you can obtain information on just about any crime that you want. You would need to request in writing that you want a copy of a certain case file. There may or may not be a fee for this, you can obtain all police reports, any witness statements, etc. Obviously you wouldnt get any actual evidence.

I would reccomend that you speak to the investigator in charge of the case before hand, he might be willing to get you the information if he thinks you might actually be able to help. I would be carefull about trying to investigate it yourself, such as questioning people about the crime, unless you are a licensed private investigator, it could be a crime.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may be able to just do a record request. If they still consider the case to be "open", they may not release anything. All they can say is yes or no.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have any kind of training or do you plan to just go in and wing it?

Real life isn't CSI or Cold Case Files. It isn't magically finding clues with a little green laser or identifying who owned a gun based off of a firing pin strike on a primer. It's long, boring, tons of paperwork and often times sad. Should you have the unfortunate experience of seeing a crime scene, it will haunt your dreams, and certainly won't match the romanticized depiction you see on TV.

If you want to volunteer and provide something for the greater good, there are many routes you can take. Sadly, this is something best left to those who were cursed with the profession.

[Broken External Image]

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have any kind of training or do you plan to just go in and wing it?

Real life isn't CSI or Cold Case Files. It isn't magically finding clues with a little green laser or identifying who owned a gun based off of a firing pin strike on a primer. It's long, boring, tons of paperwork and often times sad. Should you have the unfortunate experience of seeing a crime scene, it will haunt your dreams, and certainly won't match the romanticized depiction you see on TV.

If you want to volunteer and provide something for the greater good, there are many routes you can take. Sadly, this is something best left to those who were cursed with the profession.

[Broken External Image]

But he's Cohiba.

Latest posts

Top Bottom