Using oil. Driving too easy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a foreign friend or 3 and one of them has had a couple Toyota cars and they both burned a lot of oil.

I know certain years Toyota had used some very low tension rings 2002-2011 and up maybe.
Get that average MPG up there.

In the owners manual of one it stated 500 miles and 1 quart of oil used was normal not excessive.

NO WAY!!!
Crap oil burners like this is why zddp was lowered in the oils.

Now onto a possible fix.
I would bet money this friend of mine drives very slow and I know does not drive very far just a few miles to work maybe 4.

I never drove my cars slow especially the smaller powered ones.
Small power ones I stick my foot all the way to the floor to get up to speed just about every time I drive.

This puts much more pressure on the rings and really gets oil slinging everywhere.
Could be why my 382,000 mile 1995 corolla runs so well and does not burn oil excessively just 1/2 a quart every 3000 miles which is what it used at 75,000 miles and it is what the owners manual stated it would use.

I know one guy bought an oil burner Toyota from an old lady and after 6000 miles and 2 oil changes no more big oil consumption.

He said it was a quart every 600 miles when he got it.
Now it was 3/4 quart for 3000 but he drives it hard.

Pennzoil platinum and Ultra platinum were used.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a foreign friend or 3 and one of them has had a couple Toyota cars and they both burned a lot of oil.

I know certain years Toyota had used some very low tension rings 2002-2011 and up maybe.
Get that average MPG up there.

In the owners manual of one it stated 500 miles and 1 quart of oil used was normal not excessive.

NO WAY!!!
Crap oil burners like this is why zddp was lowered in the oils.

Now onto a possible fix.
I would bet money this friend of mine drives very slow and I know does not drive very far just a few miles to work maybe 4.

I never drove my cars slow especially the smaller powered ones.
Small power ones I stick my foot all the way to the floor to get up to speed just about every time I drive.

This puts much more pressure on the rings and really gets oil slinging everywhere.
Could be why my 382,000 mile 1995 corolla runs so well and does not burn oil excessively just 1/2 a quart every 3000 miles which is what it used at 75,000 miles and it is what the owners manual stated it would use.

I know one guy bought an oil burner Toyota from an old lady and after 6000 miles and 2 oil changes no more big oil consumption.

He said it was a quart every 600 miles when he got it.
Now it was 3/4 quart for 3000 but he drives it hard.

Pennzoil platinum and Ultra platinum were used.
So if your engine is burning excessive oil floor it to make it quit. You lie to your friends and Ill lie to mine but lets not lie to each other.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My co-worker said his little car does that same thing.
I don't remember what year it is, but he has a Mazda Miata, he said if he drives it harder it doesn't use oil. Until he figured that out, he would drive it easy and gently and it would burn about a quart every 1000 to 1200 miles.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe some here do not know about cylinder pressures and how they play a part in ring seal.
More throttle opening and you get more of that pressure and it gets behind the rings and helps seal them.
That is not a myth and in fact they now make gas ported piston rings that work very well and so well they can make the rings very very thin.
1mm

Used to be 5/64" rings decades ago then 1/16" was the thin ring (.0625")
Now 1mm (.039") Cool stuff.

The 383 stroker I am working on is getting 1/16" rings.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And in older vehicles, synthetic oil will seep through the cracks and be gone. Older vehicles were made for dyno oil size particles. I bought an older 94 surburban, 350. Up front was told it burned a quart every 800 miles and drips a little. Changed it out to dyno oil, then one quart every 2000 miles. Bought an older Honda gold wing. Slipping clutch on hard throttle in 5th gear. Changed to dyno oil. that was 120k back. Never slipped again. Bought an older jeep. Rear seal was dripping, changed to dyno oil. Stopped the drip.

Just my experiences, and I totally agree. Motors are built to be ran lots of airflow with a little strain getting to high rpms at times. Not babied around, which can cause a lot of problems I have never had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom