USSA Members...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you happy there? Any downsides? We (wife and I) went there to talk with the staff and get the tour. Seemed like good people and a nice facility. We're looking for a place that's safe, above all. I like the idea of having range officers around looking in on things.

At the moment we're leaning toward joining at the end of the week, but would like to see some uncompensated testimonial.

I shot at Happy Hollow for many years, and have been a Red Castle member for about 10 years now. HH doesn't allow anything fun, and since the obama gun buying boom I see too many people at RC that must have just slept right thru the orientation. I'm looking for a structure somewhere between those two extremes.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You won't find a facility nearby that offers what USSA does. From the Rogers range to the Steel Challenge bays, etc. you get a real value for the membership fees. You can't go past 300 with rifle but the upside is that you can always shoot scaled targets and the 300 is almost always empty. There's also not another range with a pro shop like theirs. If you do training group, they have women's only handgun classes, and the other classes are a real value, too. The winter schedule is kind of a pain in the ass during the week. You're pretty much limited to weekend shooting if you're a 9-5er. The exceptions are the training group classes, which take place well after dark.

There are ups and downs to any range. You will also find knuckleheads on every range. They are indigenous everywhere. With that being said USSA is the best value in Tulsa, for my money.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to agree with everything said above and I would seriously look at the training group membership that will only run you an additional $10/mo. An astounding value for what is offered.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Keep it coming.

There are knuckleheads everywhere. Red Castle is a great facility with a ton of good members and I didn't intend to slight any of those. When I go there to shoot, I observe what's going on, and if the shooters around me are acting in a safe manner, I don't think a thing about it. It seems to me though, that too many of the newer ones don't quite know how to behave, and that it kind of sucks the fun out of the experience. Or maybe I that's just my perception, but I never felt that way before the post obama buying spree.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a membership at USSA for a year. I did not renew it for financial reasons. For me there are a couple of downsides. First is the hours that were mentioned earlier. Also, at least when I was a member about a year and a half ago, USSA was closed on all holidays. Now I totally understand being closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter and the like. I just thought it would have been nice to shoot on Columbus day, and Presidents day. The other downside for me was that you had to get certified or whatever for dynamic movement. I never had to get certified to shoot IDPA out there but if I wanted to practice I had to get certified. In order to get certified you had to pay for time with a trainer. Was it really all that bad? No, would I join again if I had the money? Probably. As far a facilities go if you are looking for "tactical" only USSA is great. If you want some "sport" shooting such as skeet and trap or long distance/bench rest rifle shooting then you need to look somewhere else.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USSA Is great! I used to go to the indoor range every other weekend to "shoot.". I joined USSA at the first of the year an now I go twice a week to "train.". Can't beat the training group setup for the money, great value! It just makes you want to I to the range more often to learn new skills instead of standing, pointing, and shooting. I went yesterday and today. It is also goo to train in all climates from hot to cold, to address the challenges each climate may produce to draw process, grip, etc.

Also I believe they have been open on recent holidays (excluding Christmas, etc). I think they were open memorial day and maybe even on the 4th.

okiecgc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also a member at USSA. All I can say is I wish I had joined years ago. I pay the extra for the training group and it is worth every penny. Great instructors and great members.

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my wife ad i joined a couple of months ago and we love it she is always talking about how peaceful it is out there, we go after work during the week and pretty much have the run of the place, very few others shooting, at least in the heat. we really enjoy it and highly reccomend it to anyone that asks.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a member but I've shot there half a dozen times during matches and if I ever move to Tulsa, I'm calling them to get a membership that very day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom