Utah (non-resident) CCW in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so Utah non resident or Arizona non resident is valid here in Oklahoma without having the Ok sda permit?

Any license from any state, resident or non resident, is valid in Oklahoma. IMHO, if you live in Oklahoma you are better off getting our permit, as there are quite a few states that will not recognize a non resident permit even if they recognize that states resident permit.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any license from any state, resident or non resident, is valid in Oklahoma. IMHO, if you live in Oklahoma you are better off getting our permit, as there are quite a few states that will not recognize a non resident permit even if they recognize that states resident permit.

some guy posted this on FB

Friends and fellow shooters.. It has been brought to my attention there are instructors out there who are offering classes for out of state non resident CCW. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS! Even though the instructor is legal .. You being a resident of Oklahoma carrying a concealed weapon with an out of states non resident licence makes you ILLEGAL! Instructors are being flagged and loosing their credentials because of this they are Making money off of you with false information.. If you can't sit through an 8 hours class to legally and responsibly carry a concealed weapon then you should not be carrying a weapon at all! DO NOT TAKE A CLASS HOPPING TO SIDE STEP THE 8 HOUR CLASS ROOM PORTION IT WILL NOT WORK OUT IN YOUR FAVOR!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
some guy posted this on FB

Friends and fellow shooters.. It has been brought to my attention there are instructors out there who are offering classes for out of state non resident CCW. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS! Even though the instructor is legal .. You being a resident of Oklahoma carrying a concealed weapon with an out of states non resident licence makes you ILLEGAL! Instructors are being flagged and loosing their credentials because of this they are Making money off of you with false information.. If you can't sit through an 8 hours class to legally and responsibly carry a concealed weapon then you should not be carrying a weapon at all! DO NOT TAKE A CLASS HOPPING TO SIDE STEP THE 8 HOUR CLASS ROOM PORTION IT WILL NOT WORK OUT IN YOUR FAVOR!

Well, there goes "SOME GUY" again being the dumbest tool in the state.
Read Oklahoma Title 21 § 1290.26.
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69809

I sent a copy of his posts to the OSBI in 2006 when he was hounding me about Utah licenses, and got this response about his statements, including his "OSBI does not like Utah licenses."

It is not up to the OSBI. Individual states have to make that decision. Oklahoma honors all other state's gun permits.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well the guy says he's an instuctor, name is William Wilson out of Moore

The first part of that article is confusing, it says person/s entering the state

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw his posts too. I was going to follow to follow up with CLEET but pretty sure he is wrong. Besides, most states wont grant a non-resident if you dont hold a resident permit in your resident state (if offered).

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope I have him straightened out. He was trying to cite 1290.26, stating that since it says once someone establishes residency they MAY apply for an OK permit as his backing info. I pointed out that MAY and MUST are very different, IE OK DL laws state that you MUST apply for an OK DL once residency is established. He also cited the fact that 1290.26 says you have to provide ID (DL) from the issuing state. IMPOSSIBLE ON A NON RESIDENT PERMIT! If you had a Utah DL, you wouldnt be applying for a non resident permit now would you! He is misreading a lot of the info, as 1296.20 A) covers reciprocity for states that issue permits, and 1296.20 B) covers states that do not issue permits, such as AK VT etc. A valid ID from those states are required for reciprocity since there isnt a permit (firearm must be carried concealed). I also asked him what CLEET or OSBI could do about an instructor teaching a UT or PA class, since they aren't the governing or enforcing class for their instructors, only OK's instructors. Even if they are an OK instructor, its not an OK class...he stated he is reporting instructors giving non-resident permit classes, and encourages others to do the same since what they are doing is illegal. He can't spell legal (leagal), and is stating instructors are losing their license for this. LOL, OSBI is revoking instructor licenses for giving UT classes? What if the person taking the class isnt a resident of OK? Would it be leagal then?

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope I have him straightened out. He was trying to cite 1290.26, stating that since it says once someone establishes residency they MAY apply for an OK permit as his backing info. I pointed out that MAY and MUST are very different, IE OK DL laws state that you MUST apply for an OK DL once residency is established. He also cited the fact that 1290.26 says you have to provide ID (DL) from the issuing state. IMPOSSIBLE ON A NON RESIDENT PERMIT! If you had a Utah DL, you wouldnt be applying for a non resident permit now would you! He is misreading a lot of the info, as 1296.20 A) covers reciprocity for states that issue permits, and 1296.20 B) covers states that do not issue permits, such as AK VT etc. A valid ID from those states are required for reciprocity since there isnt a permit (firearm must be carried concealed). I also asked him what CLEET or OSBI could do about an instructor teaching a UT or PA class, since they aren't the governing or enforcing class for their instructors, only OK's instructors. Even if they are an OK instructor, its not an OK class...he stated he is reporting instructors giving non-resident permit classes, and encourages others to do the same since what they are doing is illegal. He can't spell legal (leagal), and is stating instructors are losing their license for this. LOL, OSBI is revoking instructor licenses for giving UT classes? What if the person taking the class isnt a resident of OK? Would it be leagal then?

I didn't see that conversation unless he or you deleted it

his last entry:

1290.26 section C says "Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state."
The key word is establishing residency. The provisions under A, and B say you can carry all you want with an out of state licence but when you establish residency the osbi as well as cleet expect you to apply for the Oklahoma sda.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was in Oklahoma guns for sale, he posted the same original post in like 6 groups. My response to him was on there. Looks like the whole thing was deleted from there though. Word of law is clear, they may apply, doesnt say they must, are required to, or are expected too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom