Vacuumed sealed some rice + rice and bean math if anyone cares.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just vacuum sealed some rice, did some math, 5 pounds of rice is 12 cups, 2 cups (dry) per day for 2 people = 6 days. 2 cups dry is 6 cups cooked. did some beans too, figured a pound (dry)a day for 2 is pretty accurate. a pound of beans is about 2 1/2 cups. YMMV

I have been so busy getting this stuff together I had forgotten to sit down and calculate portions. Thanks for the information.:thumbup3:
What are you doing on spices, salt etc. for your beans and rice?

FYI for anyone following my posts about the snorkel style sealer I bought, it is working great. I have almost run out of things to repackage. I can sure tell the difference in a properly vacuum packed bag and one done with the hand pump and tape method.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a dumb related question. I vacuum packed some beans and rice awhile back. For lack of a better place to store them I threw them in my chest freezer. I've never frozen this stuff before and suppose nobody else has because it's not necessary. But does freezing have any effect on dry beans and rice? I guess I need to cook up a pack and find out. If not they are probably good for a couple of centuries! :D

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a dumb related question. I vacuum packed some beans and rice awhile back. For lack of a better place to store them I threw them in my chest freezer. I've never frozen this stuff before and suppose nobody else has because it's not necessary. But does freezing have any effect on dry beans and rice? I guess I need to cook up a pack and find out. If not they are probably good for a couple of centuries! :D

What kind of bags are you using to vacuum pack your rice and beans. If you are using freezer bags, oxygen leakage will ruin the rice and beans in a few years as the vacuum will "suck" air through freezer style bags vacuum bags. I have been vacuum sealing in long term Mylar bags with a moisture absorber and a oxygen absorber, and then into a metal can for 20 year rodent proof storage. I hope I live that long! Take a look at the information I posted on my long term storage post about the different types of plastic bags.

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
Re: appetite fatigue, Jack Spigerelli in his book "Crisis Preparedness", talks about appetite fatigue. He mentions it comes on to children and the elderly the quickest. Kids get tired of the same texture of food and the elderly just sort of give up out of bordem. When either age bracket gets this way, it's close to impossible to get them to eat. That's why Okiegentleman and I don't store just rice, beans and oatmeal. We vacuum pack several different things; and the beans, rice, dry potatoes, etc have spice packets stored with them. Spigerelli stresses you have to have variety, especially if things turn out to be more long term. He reminds Preppers not to store foods you wouldn't eat on an everyday basis. If you hate meatloaf, then for Heaven's sake don't store it in MREs or any other form just because others suggest it, or you got it for a bargain. Remember, after just 10 days straight, Jif Peanut Butter and Welches Concord Grape Jelly would make even the most faithful PB&J fanatic sick!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of bags are you using to vacuum pack your rice and beans. If you are using freezer bags, oxygen leakage will ruin the rice and beans in a few years as the vacuum will "suck" air through freezer style bags vacuum bags. I have been vacuum sealing in long term Mylar bags with a moisture absorber and a oxygen absorber, and then into a metal can for 20 year rodent proof storage. I hope I live that long! Take a look at the information I posted on my long term storage post about the different types of plastic bags.

I have a foodsaver machine and I've just been buying their "bulk" rolls at Sam's. I guess I need to check and see if the mylar bags will work with my machine.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In stead of counting portions, it might be more useful to count calories unless you want to end up on starvation rations. Another thing to consider, is the nutritional content of what you're consuming, because Pinto's and rice won't cut it for long.

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to store up 6 months of the basics, after that I'll start on PB&J, trying to store 1 month for 2 people in 1, 5 gallon container, which is the reason for my OP, and it looks like it is not possible. If I try to get too anal about it from the start I'll never get anything done. Beans and rice is the most basic perfect food providing the essential amino acids for survival. As far as spices go, I vacuumed down some salt and will continue with brown sugar , cinnamon and tumeric (the poor man's saffron) for the rice, chili powder, pepper and House of Blues for everything else. Also shrank down some pancake instant mix (just add water),for skillet bread. Speaking of calories, I"m morbidly obese so if I end up in an arid desert with a bloated belly and flies crawling all over me, maybe Weight Watchers will save me and I can be their poster child, like Jerad without the long walk.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL ... yep. Then you go to a restaurant and they serve you enough food to feed a small army. Go figure ...

Don't worry, government regulations will be forthcoming. It's the CHANGE we can all bereave in.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to store up 6 months of the basics, after that I'll start on PB&J, trying to store 1 month for 2 people in 1, 5 gallon container, which is the reason for my OP, and it looks like it is not possible. If I try to get too anal about it from the start I'll never get anything done. Beans and rice is the most basic perfect food providing the essential amino acids for survival. As far as spices go, I vacuumed down some salt and will continue with brown sugar , cinnamon and tumeric (the poor man's saffron) for the rice, chili powder, pepper and House of Blues for everything else. Also shrank down some pancake instant mix (just add water),for skillet bread. Speaking of calories, I"m morbidly obese so if I end up in an arid desert with a bloated belly and flies crawling all over me, maybe Weight Watchers will save me and I can be their poster child, like Jerad without the long walk.

That pancake mix you sealed up?? It will go rancid. You are better off storing the components of pancake mix separately and then mixing it up when you need your skillet bread.

Almost Bisquick Mix Biscuit/Pancake Mix
You'll Need:
8 cups flour
4 Tbs. Sugar
4 Tbs. baking powder**
4 teaspoons salt
1 cup shortening like Crisco (if you prefer you can use dry shortening)

Directions:

Combine Flour, baking powder, salt in a large
bowl, blending well. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles fine crumbs and is completely incorporated. Store in airtight container until needed.

Makes approximately 10 1/2 cups

To Make Biscuits- use 2 1/4 c. Mix & 3/4 Cup of Milk, for drop biscuits (which don't require rolling/cutting) increase milk to 1 c. Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes

To Make Pancakes - use 2 cups of mix, 2 eggs (beaten), and 1 cup of milk. Simply beat all the ingredients together until well blended and then pour approximately ¼ cup portions onto a sizzling hot greased or nonstick griddle. Cook until the edges begin to dry with bubbles on the top and they are golden brown on the bottom, then flip and continue cooking until that side is golden brown, as well. Serve hot with butter and syrup, jam or fresh fruit.

** If you are using food storage to make this mix, it is better to have the components of baking powder (baking soda, cream of tartar and cornstarch) stored separately and then mix them when you need it. Baking powder is activated by moisture. Moisture in the air will cause baking powder to go stale over time. If you store the component separately and mix when you need them you will get the best rise from the baking powder. Cornstarch will slow down this process, but to get the best results, just mix the baking powder when you need it and leave out the cornstarch.

Baking Powder Recipe

Ingredients:
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•2 teaspoons cream of tartar
•1 teaspoon corn starch (optional)

Preparation:
Mix the baking soda and cream of tartar together until well combined. If you need to mix for later use, combine in cornstarch. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container, as appropriate.
Yield: One tablespoon of baking powder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom