Vacuumed sealed some rice + rice and bean math if anyone cares.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just vacuum sealed some rice, did some math, 5 pounds of rice is 12 cups, 2 cups (dry) per day for 2 people = 6 days. 2 cups dry is 6 cups cooked. did some beans too, figured a pound (dry)a day for 2 is pretty accurate. a pound of beans is about 2 1/2 cups. YMMV

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to think that is pretty accurate. I know that the canned goods we have put back I tend to be a bit more generous with the serving size when I'm calculating how much we actually have. Most cans of soup I just say are two servings. Same with regular size cans of fruits or veggies.

Seems to me it would be really easy to think you have a lot more food than you actually do if you go by the servings sizes listed on the packaging. Especially if you are doing a lot of physical labor that you aren't used to.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those serving sizes on the labels are crock. Look at a cereal box and actually measure it out. They call that a meal? :faint: I wouldn't last two days if I ate 3 of those a day and I was outside working especially in the winter.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those serving sizes on the labels are crock. Look at a cereal box and actually measure it out. They call that a meal? :faint: I wouldn't last two days if I ate 3 of those a day and I was outside working especially in the winter.

LOL ... yep. Then you go to a restaurant and they serve you enough food to feed a small army. Go figure ...

BTW, speaking of serving sizes, one of my big beefs with Emergency Essentials when I first started buying FD/DH foods was there were no serving sizes listed in their catalogs. I got a catalog from Store Ready last week and they didn't list the weight of their FD/DH cans, just the number of servings. Having a general idea of the weight AND the number and size of servings is helpful ... When I don't get all the info I need to make an informed decision without having to beg for it, it makes me wonder what someone is hiding. I was really grateful when Red Dawn opened up because I could go and read on the side of the can EVERYTHING I needed to know.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've started thinking maybe instant rice, oatmeal, beans, etc. is the way to go for prepping. I'm concerned with the availability of clean water for cooking and drinking plus fuel for cooking. I may be barking up the wrong tree. I remember one year being 20+ miles into the Wind River Wilderness when I clandestinely stole all the desert stuff out of our packs, including the kids, and hid around a tree while I gobbled it up.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cinaet, I started out that way but after a bout with appetite fatique (which, btw, I didn't believe in until I experienced it) I'm thinking that you might need to at least add some spices to that so you can mix up the flavors a bit. One of the reasons I have put back extra canned fruit and vegetables is I can use the liquid in the cans for cooking -- or even drinking if push comes to shove. That helps save my potable water for other things.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good point about appetite fatigue BB. A very good point. Like you, I've read about it. I've read it can even lead to starvation.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay I just went and looked at my cereal box. It's mostly orange and this particular one has Misty May-Treanor on it. :naughty:

It's a 15.6oz normal sized box. It said servings per container is 16. HORSE$H!*!!! For me it goes about 6 maybe 7 servings.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good point about appetite fatigue BB. A very good point. Like you, I've read about it. I've read it can even lead to starvation.

I was on some meds for a while that made everything taste kinda bland. GC got to where he would threaten to whip my butt if I didn't eat. Lost my appetite completely and nothing tasted good. If I ate more than a couple of bites at a time, I'd get sick to my stomach and throw it up. I can see where someone could starve to death, especially if they were under a lot of stress too. Back then all I was doing was sleeping so it didn't hurt anything. Also, I just stopped taking that medicine -- not like it was working on my headaches anyway ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I just went and looked at my cereal box. It's mostly orange and this particular one has Misty May-Treanor on it. :naughty:

It's a 15.6oz normal sized box. It said servings per container is 16. HORSE$H!*!!! For me it goes about 6 maybe 7 servings.

Jeez ... anybody with teenage boys knows that one box of cereal equals ONE SERVING!! :lmfao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom