Vacuumed sealed some rice + rice and bean math if anyone cares.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to store up 6 months of the basics,....trying to store 1 month for 2 people in 1, 5 gallon container, which is the reason for my OP, and it looks like it is not possible.....

That might be possible but a 5 Gal bucket is only going to hold 35-40 pounds of dry goods +/- some depending on what it is. In a bulk sense, one pound of dry goods should double in weight when wet. But that will leave you only with around a pound per person per day, which would be starvation rations. It'll keep you alive, but without supplementing it with foraging don't expect much else. The good news is that dry goods are cheap to buy and store right now and a little every payday goes a long ways. Most importantly though, is that you have a plan and are doing something about it.

...If I try to get too anal about it from the start I'll never get anything done. Beans and rice is the most basic perfect food providing the essential amino acids for survival. As far as spices go, I vacuumed down some salt and will continue with brown sugar , cinnamon and tumeric (the poor man's saffron) for the rice, chili powder, pepper and House of Blues for everything else. Also shrank down some pancake instant mix (just add water),for skillet bread. ...

I'm glad you're trying to prepare for your family, but please don't get discouraged because everything will come in time. As you store up goods you'll better learn what you want and how to take care of it. Speaking of myself, our plans have evolved over the years and still do to this very day (we packed up a few bags of stuff today), and I'm sure your plans will evolve too. Don't get discouraged, just keep moving in the right direction because nobody is going to do it for you - but you. :thumb:

BTW, +1 on BB's post.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Opps, sorry if I sounded pissy. Just didn't want to see you put up a bunch of pancake mix (or crackers, bread, cake and brownie mixes, quick bread mixes, stuff like that) because it all has dehydrated shortening in it. Although there is not much fat in these products, there is enough for them to go rancid in time. The packaging they all come in is NOT air-tight. It's okay to store these products, just be sure to rotate them regularly. They are not as stable as canned goods.

Canned goods will last for years after their "use by" dates. The stuff listed above, not so much.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the rice and beans, also - lots of salt, and enough spices to open Thai, Mexican, or Indian restaurant. Corn flour is a good one also - corn masa + water = tortillas. Kill something and have meat tacos....

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW - fish sauce from oriental grocery lasts forever, and adds protein to rice. Vietnamese have stayed alive on this for extened periods of starvation conditions.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About all my oriental dishes use it -Thai and Vietnamese don't tast the same without it. Get the kind you can see through, unless you like the smell af catfish bait.

It's used instead of salt, usually with stir fried veggies and some meat. Again- if all you have is rice and a few veggies, it'd make a fine meal.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have lots of resources, here's a recipe I use with wild piggies:

Onion (chopped)
2" ginger (chopped)
A bunched of chopped garlic
1 1/2 lbs thin sliced pork backstrap

Saute onion, ginger and garlic in veg oil. Add pork when onions are about done.Season with Fish/Soy Sauce Cook until pork is done - drain well, set aside.

Bok choy
Eggplant
Green Onion
Lg bunch of fresh Basil
Lg bunch fresh Mint
Sm bunch Cilantro
Any other veggies you want to add. (crushed cashews are good, too)

Stir fry eggplant and veggies in 1 part Sesame oil, 2 parts veg oil
add bok choy and herbs last
season with Fish Sauce and Soy sauce
Hot Peppers if I'm cookin' it

Add Pork, Ginger, etc back in
Serve w steamed rice

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good point about appetite fatigue BB. A very good point. Like you, I've read about it. I've read it can even lead to starvation.

I've experienced this a few times with certain diets. It sucks. Eating the same stuff everyday is no joke. I would start gagging when I thought about it and would have to force the food down. Of course, I didn't have to eat that stuff to survive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom