Very shady Carry Class in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What happens when a CCW permitted person uses thier weapon and find out they did wrong, Then they say in the two hour class this is what I was told. Can that come back on the instructor when they find out he was shorting them timewise?

Next thing. How hard could it be for the state to send out a person like an undercover inspector to sign up for the class and sit in on it to see how they are conducted? Man that would be fun I would almost volenteer for the job.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I mind the shortened class period. I found when taking the course that it was excessively long and drawn out. (I was exempt but chose to take it anyway just to experience it) I realize there are people of all levels of education, training, and common sense. In the event you have a class where each has a high level of those things, why not cut it short? I can recall painfully sitting there while people asked the most ridiculous questions. After the first 4 hours I was terrified to go on the range with these people! :NO: I legitimately feared one would shoot me in the leg! Or worse... So, my class of individuals was one that requires the full monty but I figure others may not. Considering it is just education and not real training anyway. :twocents:

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with some of what you said Monkey. These classes are very beginer based. If a person has never picked up a gun the class is designed to let the person pass as long as they are safe when we are at the range and pass a test on safety.

Cleet and OSBI can aduit a class at any time.
Instructors are required to send an intent to train 72 hours before a class for this fact. I would like to see more aduits done.

Last edited:

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also agree with Monkey. . .I've sat through two classes and was bored to tears. Spending 8 hours in class doesn't do a bit of good if you only have 4 hours of information to convey. Stories of your time as sheriff or OHP are nice, but worthless. Don't waste my time.

Further, there are, what, 2 hours worth of breaks built into the time?

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consider the amount of (AHEM) unlearned or grossly misinformed questions about the law that are posted here by permit holders. Should the 8-hour requirement really be reduced? Or, perhaps, is the general quality of instruction lacking?

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoyed my 4hr class that I bought from Groupon. One day after work and got it taken care of. It was a small class of 4 and everyone had a good level of shooting experience so we did not have to spend much time on how a gun works, how to know if you have the right ammo, basic grip, etc.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if your experienced with hand guns then those 8hr long classes are BS. it seems like half of it is being able to tell the difference between a derringer, revolution, and semiauto. wow I could not believe it. any dumb ass could pass that test with only a few hrs or less of classroom.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is mostly about instructors not complying with the rules of the SDA. Some students still dont grasp the laws even after 8 hours. That why there are so many questions on here from people that have had there permit for years and still dont understand. I need all 8 hours to make me feel better about the info I give to the students. Reguardless of how we all feel about the lenght of the class there are still rules we as instructors are supposed to follow to make sure every student gets the same info.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After I taught my first SDA Class in 1996 I called CLEET about the time length of the class. I didn't see how you could make all the required information last eight hours. They said it couldn't go over eight hours.If you look at the newest " yellow book " they just sent out on page 11 under section E first sentence. Last half of sentence says "that the course can be reasonably completed by the applicant within an eight-hour period. " There seems to be some confusion on this. I go over every word in the instructor's book that is directed to the students and my classes usually run from 4 to 5 hours. I answer any questions I can and get them an answer for any I can't. I add in some of the experences I've had while carrying and recent ,if any newspaper or news articles on carrying. I do my best to give them all the help I can on the range with safety the first priority. I have even taken beginners/newbies out shooting one on one at no charge to them. I want people to get into shooting and enjoy it as much as being able to protect themselves. Like some of you I hear stories of instructors slinging bs . I heard of one last weekend teaching out in the Osage that was charging $65 for the class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom