Very shady Carry Class in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found a deal on Groupon for a Oklahoma SDA class. Very Shady . There class is only 4 hours and only fire 20 rounds. The requirments from CLEET are 8 hours and 50 rounds. I would caution anyone taking this class to be careful. I wont state the name but...in OK we want to be SAFE, aNd, SECURE and there is no excuse for this. I take pride in my classes as do many others that teach them and we are all trying to help arm good people who belive in there rights and want to carry another form of self protection. I have talked with a couple other Instructors and former students and was told that they have been in touch with CLEET and the are building a case against this Instructor. The Instructors who teach this class for the right reasons will always have my support but someone who will short cut the class is screwing the student and that is not good for the student. A former student sat in my class last week and said that he took the class with them and it was 2 hours long??? He learned so much more at my class.
There is no way I could ever short cut this class. I have more respect for my students than that.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple friends in eastern Oklahoma tht recently took a class that was about 2 hours. He is former LEO and been in a state office before. He openly told them it was shorter than it was suppose to be, but he thinks they cover enough. He said he knows someone in the higher rankings and he has approval to give the shorter class since he knows them and they know him from his previous job capacities.

I think it's such a joke! It's ridiculous that this goes on.

I took mine from TUlsa firearms, and while the class was not very good quality, we were there the full time. My wife tool hers at 2A an loved it! And I have heard nothing but good about USSA's class as well. It just aggravates me that these instructors are cheating the system and cheating the students.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He said he knows someone in the higher rankings and he has approval to give the shorter classes.
I very much dout this is true. The rules for Instructors are clear and in writting in the SDA law book for everone to read. There needs to be continuity between ALL classes so the students get the same instruction from any Instructor they take the class from. And yes USSA is great. Just saying.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My course was 4 hrs of classroom and 4 hours of range if I recall correctly. I agree with the range time to ensure you can safely operate a firearm however I think that people should be forced to learn how to operate various platforms, at least so they are familiar with a couple and realize that not all guns are the same. I understand there are those who take the courses with browning buckmarks and the like but the operation of those pistols like mag release, bolt/slide manipulation are very different from most defensive handguns that one would be more likely to use should the need arise.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tell all the students at the begining my classes that the SDA class is not gun training. They are just a law and safety class where we shoot some guns safely. I promote additional training and practice. I take this stuff seriously and fully support the 2A. I think the SDA class is not mentioned in the constitution, but here we are doing what we need to to get citizens armed and trying to get them an understanding of the laws that will effect them and the right and wrong time to use deadly force. Anything less the the required amount of training is like stealing info from the student. Sometimes the time is not enough to express how huge a responsibality carrying a firearm is.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tell all the students at the begining my classes that the SDA class is not gun training. They are just a law and safety class where we shoot some guns safely. I promote additional training and practice. I take this stuff seriously and fully support the 2A. I think the SDA class is not mentioned in the constitution, but here we are doing what we need to to get citizens armed and trying to get them an understanding of the laws that will effect them and the right and wrong time to use deadly force. Anything less the the required amount of training is like stealing info from the student. Sometimes the time is not enough to express how huge a responsibality carrying a firearm is.

This is exactly why I recommend your class. Good on you for calling out these shysters.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I talked to the guy from Groupon. He said they sold a large number of coupons - seemed like 250 or 350 - for that unnamed group. So, a lot of people who do not know better did not get their money/s worth.

The instructor has a large responsibility to teach students when they can lawfully use a handgun for self defense. Simply put, if you display, wave around, point, or shoot your handgun in an unlawful manner, it could be a misdemeanor to a felony.

I takes me four hours to explain the law (Self Defense Act) to my students, then the rest of the time to teach safety and some time spent on how to handle and shoot a handgun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom