'Vintage' guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son-in-law lost his Dad within the last year, and brought his guns back a couple of weeks ago. They sent them home with me ... want me to clean them up and check them over ... with hopes of shooting them. There's an Ithaca Model 49, lever action .22 single shot, which is probably perfectly safe to shoot.
View attachment 28535
There's a J. C. Higgins Model 583.17 which I have never seen the likes of! Bolt action 12-gauge, 6-shot tubular magazine, which I will recommend they NOT shoot ...
View attachment 28537View attachment 28538
And, a 6.5 Italian Carcano carbine, which I'm kinda' up in the air about. I think it's probably safe to shoot ... seems solid enough ... but, what do you think?
View attachment 28539

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me likey that Ithaca a lots.

I think you're right on the 12g...I wouldn't shoot it either. Got grandpa's old 12g in the safe and it will never pass another round through it.
I'd take the carbine to a gunsmith for a onceover...might be fun to take it to the range a time or 2 and then put it away.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shotgun was made by High Standard. Didn't expect that. That lever is a single shot? Interesting. My ex FIL has an Ithaca lever .22 but it's a tube-fed. GREAT little rifle!

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ithaca made both single shot and repeater as well as a .22mag version of the 49. We have the single shot with oh, I don't know...about a million rounds through it. Way fun but lately getting some misfires. Likely hammer spring is wearing out.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Tanker version of the carcano. I've got everything to load for it, just haven't got around to it. They're decent little plinkers. If memory serves me correctly they are a different 6.5 bullet than others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Tanker version of the carcano. I've got everything to load for it, just haven't got around to it. They're decent little plinkers. If memory serves me correctly they are a different 6.5 bullet than others.

Yeah, they're actually .268 diameter. If this thing is safe to shoot, I'll probably find/buy one box of ammo so they can shoot it. My guess is they will be satisfied after one session at the range and be ready to clean it up and put it away. If not, I may see about buying a mold to load up some cast for it. We'll see.

Yes, the Ithaca was made in both single shot and repeater varieties. And, I can see the 'little' kids having to take it away from us 'big' kids if we take it to the range.

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice little Ithaca. A friend had one when we were kids back in the 60's. It's a falling block similar to the BSA Martini action. Very safe with all .22lr, longs or shorts. The bolt action shotgun will more than likely be safe with field load shells but I would have a gunsmith check it out. I've had Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge and .410 and make nice knock about truck guns and rabbit guns. The Carcano should be checked out also. Buy a couple boxes of ammo and store it away greased but ready for emergency use. Remember, none of these guns have a paper trail attached to them, I would bet, and that means something good in todays society. If you get my drift. Also remember what the Carcano did back in '63. In the right hands they are deadly accurate and that could come in handy some day.

Des

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About a year ago Midway had a sell on blems. Dirt cheap, so I bought a couple boxes. They looked real nice when I got them. You might check them out and see if they still carry them. Just a FYI.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom