Wanna see the new GT350R hot lap and run down a Viper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the deal- I am not a hellcat fanboy. I really like the SRT8 Charger and Challenger, but adding another 200 horsepower does not a super car make. The car needs more suspension and brakes. It is too heavy, it lumbers around the track. The Hellcat is great for straight lines, but it will quickly get out of hand if you try to power around a corner. On top of that, the modern HEMI is not really a high-performance platform. I have been inside them, they are great in stock form, but if you try to amp it up and really use it, you have to change everything.

If the Hellcat was in the Viper, I could see it. If the Mustang or the Corvette had 700+, it could handle it. The Chrysler 300 chassis? no way. It sounds great, it looks good, but it is about 200 hp too much for the chassis.

Oh, and at 150mph, the Challenger gets really light. The open-road racers won't run them without serious aftermarket suspension and other mods.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Corvettes or Camaros? I haven't been a fan of the blue oval lately and I like the looks of Dodge vehicles but don't trust their quality.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No thoughts on the hellcat? The GT350R is a bad car to be sure. Just wonder how attainable those things are going to be with dealer markup BS.
Just look at what Cayman GT-4's are trading for vs msrp and you'll have a pretty good idea. :(

The Hellcats are boulevard bruisers,the GT350R is a track day weapon that's liveable on the street due to magnetic ride control.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just look at what Cayman GT-4's are trading for vs msrp and you'll have a pretty good idea. :(

The Hellcats are boulevard bruisers,the GT350R is a track day weapon that's liveable on the street due to magnetic ride control.

The challenger and mustang really are 2 different types of car. I've got a challenger because, 1. I can put my 3 kids in the back seat with relative ease. 2. Really like the old school style. 3. 485 hp is pretty damn fun on an empty road. Is it a track star? Hell no but it can handle anything I want it to on the street.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The challenger and mustang really are 2 different types of car. I've got a challenger because, 1. I can put my 3 kids in the back seat with relative ease. 2. Really like the old school style. 3. 485 hp is pretty damn fun on an empty road. Is it a track star? Hell no but it can handle anything I want it to on the street.

I happen to like both, but they're distinct in their personalities. The Challenger with a Hemi and cloth interior seems like the better bang for your buck and the Mercedes based suspension isn't bad, but its coping with a lot of weight. The Stang is lighter, more nimble and revs better, but the Interior on all but the premium GT leaves a lot to be desired, and that pushes the price into 392 Scat Pack territory.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GM only brought out an RS Camaro convertible and the caddys. No vette, no SS. The ATS and CTS Vs are bad ass luxury cars. I would take an ATS V over any of the rest. 4 doors, track manners and an unholy sound. It is supremely awesome.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GM only brought out an RS Camaro convertible and the caddys. No vette, no SS. The ATS and CTS Vs are bad ass luxury cars. I would take an ATS V over any of the rest. 4 doors, track manners and an unholy sound. It is supremely awesome.

It's funny that it's outshining big brother, just like the Jaguar F Type S is a better all around car than the F Type R.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks awesome! How would a new Nissan GTR compare on a track to these cars.

^^^^This is what I'd like to know. I've got a 370z and it's pretty dang fun. Not the fastest car out there, for sure, but the GT-R is my current dream. I still remember when it first came out and they took it to Germany to run the Nurburgring and it set a new record. Of course, that has been eclipsed now, but the GT-R Nismo is still up there in 4th or 5th place, outpaced only by some ridiculous cars that cost 5-10x more than it does, like the Lambo Aventador ($500k), the Porsche 918 (almost $900k) and the not-for-the-street $160k Radical SR8 and SR8LM.

I want a GT-R so bad I can taste it. If I win the lotto, that's what I'm buying. :D

<edit> Of course, a big oval and something like the Nurburgring are apples and oranges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom