Want to Learn: Home Cooking and Meal Prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

As 2024 nears, part of my plan for this year is to switch from eating out all the time to actually cooking and meal prepping... Problem is - I can cook the easy stuff like pasta or bag meals from the freezer, but not much else.

And every time I've tried to do this, I've grown tired and bored and failed.

Are there any cooking and meal prep type classes out there to grow the knowledge banks?
Anyone have any suggestions for how to change the mindset of 20+ years of grab and go fast food?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think some of the Votechs have cooking classes.
I know the one in Ponca City does. They offer specialty classes as well like Italian cooking, Mexican cooking and so on as well as general learn to cook classes designed for someone that wants work in the food service industry.
Binge watching the Food Network shows can produce a lot of great information.
Allrecipes.com also has tens of thousands of recipes.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

As 2024 nears, part of my plan for this year is to switch from eating out all the time to actually cooking and meal prepping... Problem is - I can cook the easy stuff like pasta or bag meals from the freezer, but not much else.

And every time I've tried to do this, I've grown tired and bored and failed.

Are there any cooking and meal prep type classes out there to grow the knowledge banks?
Anyone have any suggestions for how to change the mindset of 20+ years of grab and go fast food?
I recomend getting a few cook books. A "quick and easy" type book,

"I'm only here for the food" by Alton Brown. This book explains technique and the how and why with easy visual guides.

Betty Crocker's cook book. This is what I used as a latch key kid that had to have dinner on the table when my parents got home. If 11 year old me could understand it you can too.

Also no kitchen should be without The Joy of Cooking. Get an older edition that includes cocktails. Butchering and wild game.

Also get good tools. A good knife. Cutting board (bamboo) and skillet/saute pan. You can often find decent stainless cookware and pyrex baking dishes at thrift stores. The alton brown book has an excellent section on equiptment

Cooking in empowering

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the OKC area, the Healthy Living center on North Rockwell (I call it the "Senior Center") has a very nice kitchen/classroom setup and often conducts helpful cooking classes.

However, membership ($30/month - unless your health insurance includes a 'silver sneakers' benefit) is required to even get in the door. And folks under age 50 are flatly prohibited.

Latest posts

Top Bottom