Want to Learn: Home Cooking and Meal Prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not looked at a class list for Francis Tuttle in a couple years- but they used to offer home-ec type classes. Libraries might offer a cooking class as well.

I think knowing why you enjoy the food you do goes a long way in learning to cook. For instance- if your favorite food is shepherds pie? Then learn to make a perfect shepherds pie. Mastering the processes of that dish (cutting and sautéing vegetables, browning meat, adjusting seasoning to taste, making mashed potatoes) will give you a good base for expanding upon.

+1 for YouTube and an older Joy of Cooking book. I use youtube more often than the book. but it’s still a very good resource.

+1 for a good knife and good cast iron skillet

+1 for marriage not equating to meals on the table

If you’re doing a lot of wild meat or homesteading type stuff- www.honest-food.net is pretty useful. That dude and his wife grow/kill/catch/cook all their food.

It’s a lot of trial and error though. Don’t be scared to make and eat something bad.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister told me about this AI app. I found a tool in it that will help EVERYONE!!! You simply put the food you have on hand and some other variables such as time, equipment, portion( I don't put any of that in there, just what I have on hand), then hit "suggest." It will create a meal for you WITH cooking instructions AND will name it for you!!! You can get the app on your phone as well.

https://goblin.tools/Chef

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a young lad my grandmother bought me a copy of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of America's Great Classic Cookbook Amazon.com
and it’s been a great cookbook. Cooking “most” things really isn’t all that difficult and I’d suggest picking one meal you really like from a restaurant or maybe something Granny made as a kid. Now find a few recipes for that complete meal and make it. Once you learn that meal pick another one. Learning to cook is all about building a repertoire you can draw from and as that list grows so will your understanding of cooking. Now you can certainly go to a culinary school and learn the science behind it all but that sure isn’t necessary for making a good meal.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
America's Test Kitchen: America's Test Kitchen | Episodes, Recipes & Reviews | America's Test Kitchen

They have a plethora of videos on YT -- not only cooking techniques but the science behind them. AND they test equipment and then let you know the results of those tests -- not only equipment but also food products. I have learned more from them, and the fella who runs Milk Street (he used to be associated with ATK) than I have from anywhere else on the planet.

Milk Street: Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Television | PBS

Also, YouTube is your friend.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a young lad my grandmother bought me a copy of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of America's Great Classic Cookbook Amazon.com
and it’s been a great cookbook. Cooking “most” things really isn’t all that difficult and I’d suggest picking one meal you really like from a restaurant or maybe something Granny made as a kid. Now find a few recipes for that complete meal and make it. Once you learn that meal pick another one. Learning to cook is all about building a repertoire you can draw from and as that list grows so will your understanding of cooking. Now you can certainly go to a culinary school and learn the science behind it all but that sure isn’t necessary for making a good meal.
I’d disagree with your last point a little. Learning some basic principles about cooking, temps, chemistry will allow one far greater success with a variety of meals. Understanding concepts and why certain methods make food palatable let you cook up decent meals with a wider variety of ingredients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom