Want to start bow hunting but I've never shot a bow..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you guys recommend me a place to start? I want a bow that I can use of course to hunt with but I would also like to try bow fishing. I don’t know if I could get a multi purpose bow to do both, but its always been something i wanted to try. I've been thinking about going to either heartland or basspro to see if i could get some advice but wanted to talk with you guys before i went down there without a clue. What kind of price range am I looking at for a decent bow? Thanks for the help

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about Heartland but I do know the bAss pro guys in B.A. are not real good with fitting you to a bow. I was not impressed with their archery knowledge. We'll all give you advice on which brand is the best and why but you really need to find a good archery shop that will let you test drive the bows and fit you to a bow.

TEXAN_OKIE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i recomend KINGS archery on sunnylane and reno.Jeff or Mike will take care of you. when i statrted archery hunting i whent to a few local dealers and Kings was the only one that took the time to explain all the in and out of choosing the right equipment.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only Archery shop I really recommend anymore since arrowhead closed is Bills Sporting Goods up in Clairemore. That may be a bit of a drive for you, but the guys there are real knowledgeable. If you get into Tulsa often swing by OPS and ask if Jimmy is around. He works there, and used to work for Arrowhead before it closed. Hes an EXTREMELY good bow tech, and although isnt a dealer really, he does a little bit of work on the side. And might know of something for sale, and would be a great guy to fit you and everything if his and your schedules allow.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about Heartland but I do know the bAss pro guys in B.A. are not real good with fitting you to a bow. I was not impressed with their archery knowledge. We'll all give you advice on which brand is the best and why but you really need to find a good archery shop that will let you test drive the bows and fit you to a bow.

Really? And how do you know that? I used to work there, and personally know several of the older guys there. Each one of them has won several State and National Championships in various styles of archery. They know what they are doing. But, one thing you have to remember at a place like BPS, they don't have a lot of time to spend on one customer. They get absolutely buried the closer hunting season gets because there's too many people think they can pick up a bow one week, and go hunting the next. Plus, once someone starts working out with a bow and starts building the necessary muscle groups, they tend to stretch out a bit and can actually increase their draw length just by that, and a slight repositioning of the bow hand.

But, I do agree that any new archer should seek the advise of a professional archery shop and soak up as much information as they can while getting outfitted. I just happen to include those guys in that catagory.

Sorry for the mini rant. If you're ever in there, ask for Keith or Don.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The basspro guys in okc seem hit or miss. The guys at Sportsmans warehouse were amazing, but they are no longer there. The archery guys in H&H are very good.

The problem with a bow to hunt with and to bow fish with is bowfising you will shoot alot and will get worn out if you are shooting a 70 or 60 lb bow.

Archerytalk.com has a very good forum and some dang good deals in thier classifieds.

I started with PSE Bruin, because it was in my price range. It worked well and did the job. It was a package deal at around $350. I have since went to a Bowtech General which is considerable more. around $800 bare bow, but there is no comparison between the two.

If I were to do it again, I would pick up a used PSE Nova from craigslist and shoot the heck out of it. Get used to it and decide what improvements I would like in my next bow.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? And how do you know that? I used to work there, and personally know several of the older guys there. Each one of them has won several State and National Championships in various styles of archery. They know what they are doing. But, one thing you have to remember at a place like BPS, they don't have a lot of time to spend on one customer. They get absolutely buried the closer hunting season gets because there's too many people think they can pick up a bow one week, and go hunting the next. Plus, once someone starts working out with a bow and starts building the necessary muscle groups, they tend to stretch out a bit and can actually increase their draw length just by that, and a slight repositioning of the bow hand.

But, I do agree that any new archer should seek the advise of a professional archery shop and soak up as much information as they can while getting outfitted. I just happen to include those guys in that catagory.

Sorry for the mini rant. If you're ever in there, ask for Keith or Don.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just stating what my personal experience has been there. I've been in there in the off season and close to the beginning of season's and no one wanted to take time to talk through anything for a beginner. They seemed put off by having to answer questions and I even had one tell me he'd be right back, waited for 30 mins and never saw him again. I was asking questions about broadheads one time and a younger fellow could not answer anything, he finally told me he had to help other customers and left me be. All that being said, bps has a decent selection of equipment and I'll still go there if I know what it is I want but not for any type of advice. I didn't want to get specific on my experience with them but since you asked...
On the other hand, since they've already been mentioned, most of the guys at Bill's in Claremore are extremely helpful and have no problem answering my stupid questions or finding someone who can, there's a short redhead guy there, can't remember his name. They set me up with my first bow and didn't try to push me into the expensive lines either. I've also been real pleased with all my dealings down at Pat's in Okmulgee, very helpful and courteous and happy to have you in their shop. The other place I liked was Hilltop down by Mcalester, true mom and pop joint that really appreciate business and are very helpful.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would second Davenports in prague, I have a friend that is getting into bow hunting and pick up a sweet mission bow for a lot cheaper then anyone in okc. FYI Jeff is not at Kings any more I keep hearing rumors about him opening a shop in del city. I love the guys a Kings but if you have been in there lately the archery side is losing ground to the gun side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom