Good public land for deer and Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Familyguy

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just moved to central Oklahoma just north of OKC and would like to see if anyone can offer any good advice on public land for hunting. I’m in Edmond and would like to hunt locally if there is any decent spots. This forum seems like a good place to start my research so I’m hoping I can get a few ideas. Thanks guys!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
1: I don't wanna sound like an dick, but you're gonna be lucky if you get any GPS coordinates for honey holes. That's likely not what you're asking for, but that's how people here are gonna read it.

2: We have a good amount of public land scattered all over the state. Much of it is easy to get to, some of it isn't. As a rule of thumb, if its far away from population centers and hard to get to, then its not gonna be as busy. Unless its the weyerheyser land on the far southeast corner of the state, which becomes a Dallas suburb during deer season. Come deer season public land is the closest thing you can get to Chicago without being in Chicago. The best thing to do in my opinion is this:

Go buy a wildlife atlas from the ODWC, its worth its weight in gold, and the money goes to help the ODWC. Oklahoma ODWC License - Inventory/ D

Pick out a few spots in an area you like, and scout them out. grab a squirrel gun or a pig gun, load up the dog or the kid, and go walking around.

repeat as needed.

You'll find some pretty cool spots, and you maybe able to find some areas found that people overlook. Listening to other people's advice on where to go will often lead you to the same overhunted portion of land everybody else goes to. But if you ignore that plan, and go looking for yourself, you can find some pretty neat stuff.

ALSO: Lifetime Hunting licenses are simply that, Lifetime. The ODWC states that they are valid even if you move out of the state. My buddy who lived here a few years wishes he spent the money on one, as he comes down once or twice a year to go hunting/fishing. whether you're staying the rest of your life, or possibly moving in a few years, buying a lifetime license not only contributes more to conservation, but it also makes life easy regardless of what the future holds.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Turkey numbers in the entire state are at their lowest in decades. Oklahoma has been the number one destination by nonresidents for Rio's for decades also, so public land has been hammered imo for the last 30y. There are still birds here and there, but nothing like it used to be. Private land is almost in the same situation. That said, Oklahoma has an incredible amount of public hunting acres, it's just heavily used by Oklahomans and lots of other states as well.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe I read where OK is 88% private. If so, it would stand to reason that the other 12% will get hit pretty hard during hunting season. My suggestion is to try and get drawn on some doe controlled hunts so you're at least getting out and seeing what some of the WMAs have to offer. Also, nothing can beat boots on the ground especially if you have a drone to take with you!

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My FIL hunted at Lexington for years and years. Finally got a deer one year and also a turkey. Kinda like winnin' the lottery.
My son was talking about in Wash state, they can just go in the mountains to shoot or hunt. His inlaws live there.
Right? Better chance of hitting a deer with your truck on accident.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right? Better chance of hitting a deer with your truck on accident.
I literally did just that last year on my way to an area I was scouting. First deer ever. Also, my only. Hopefully this year I can change that.
IMG_0345.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom