• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Wanted: ram from reloading press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am going to build a automated bullet sizing machine. Looking for a reloading press ram as the basis. The though is to run the ram in bronze bushings in a custom built frame. would buy a press that the handle/linkage was non-functional or a press that someone wanted to get rid of at a lower price. The old Texan I have at the house is .810" and a quick search shows maybe a metric bushing would work. Research shows that a 2" cylinder at 60 psi will handle all but the biggest bullets. that's about 200 pounds of force so a light duty aluminum open frame press might not hold up to well long term. wondering what's available?

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to build a automated bullet sizing machine. Looking for a reloading press ram as the basis. The though is to run the ram in bronze bushings in a custom built frame. would buy a press that the handle/linkage was non-functional or a press that someone wanted to get rid of at a lower price. The old Texan I have at the house is .810" and a quick search shows maybe a metric bushing would work. Research shows that a 2" cylinder at 60 psi will handle all but the biggest bullets. that's about 200 pounds of force so a light duty aluminum open frame press might not hold up to well long term. wondering what's available?
If you're building your own press, why not make the ram to suit yourself? Ebay has lots of round stock in pretty much any diameter you could want, and one of the alloys that's available there is 4140 relatively cheaply. Delivered to your door, all you need is to machine the features you want in it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Even an old hydraulic jack or cylinder will have a dandy ram in it.

For regular steel cold rolled is round.
Hot rolled is cheaper but not very round.
I use cold rolled for axles on mini bikes and go carts and 2 wheel hand trucks.
I even use it for the pin in the end of a camshaft.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The thought was to use the Lee bullet sizing die and pin. the pin fits into the shell holder cut out in a ram. Have emailed rcbs as they sell a female shellholder by male thread adapter for older reloading presses. The adapter would allow me to adapt to either a custom made ram or to the rod of an air cylinder. working thru options. McMaster also sells ground shafting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom