Washing machines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is a Cabrio by whirlpool and it is about 13 years old and began clicking and not draining water and not finishing the cycle as without draining it is in a stale mate mode.

Yea the pump impeller is shot.
The entire drain pump must be replaced.. no biggie 31 bucks delivered.
But while I was at it i pulled the tub as it has not been out in about 7 years.
Shaft already got rust on it.
And the accumulation of dirty mud under the tub is ridiculous.
Like water just does not flow fast in that area.
You could scrape it up with a putty knife. about credit card thick with brown mud.
I have ran a few times a year a cleaner cycle and this washer gets used probably 5 or more times a week so it is not just sitting there.

I do not wash shop rags in it just clothes and no rugs or carpets.
I suppose pulling the tub on an every 2 year plan may work better to keep crud from forming under it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
25 years ago, had a Kenmore that had the same problem. Was just a bad solenoid, an easy fix.

These days you have to end up buying a whole pump like you said. That solenoid for the Kenmore only cost $3.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$3 bucks. I remember buying things for that and less. And sometimes more.
Wheel cylinder repair kits or just a 13/16 cup for 75 cents. Alternator bearings or regulators or brushes.. or get a kit for under 12 bucks which came with voltage regulator bearings brushes and brush holder and diod trio. GM internal regulated alternator.

The days of buying parts to repair things like alternators and wheel cylinders has almost left us.
I still have a stash of old ford and gm starters and alternators and AFB, Qjet and motorcraft carbs if I need parts or working units.

I racked my brain as to why i do not have any washing machine parts.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I inherited a 40 year old set of speed queen washer/dryer a few years ago. I dread the day I have to replace something on em, but my Maytag Man neighbor tells me it'd be a fluke if I had to.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I inherited a 40 year old set of speed queen washer/dryer a few years ago. I dread the day I have to replace something on em, but my Maytag Man neighbor tells me it'd be a fluke if I had to.

I want a set of those. I’ve heard they’re the best. Been looking on CL hoping to find a set that needs work. Haven’t seen any.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not impressed with the newer speed queens. Small capacity, long run times, and usually had to run dryer 2x for towels. Only used/had them temporarily. My LG's are like 10 years old, had to replace hub on washer, and that's about it. The LG gas dryer may have spoiled me, 45 minutes or so to dry a load of towels

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speed Queen stuff is tough and well built! They are quality American made. I have one of each, bought within last 2 years.

Both have SS contact surfaces for your wash. Big capacity for both. Older washers have a transmission. The newer ones are belt driven. Pro's and con's to both. The the current washers have a lid lock.

Gas dryer handles a load of jeans/towels in 45-50 minutes. Got a $400 rebate from the gas company on the dryer.

The units they replaced were an Amana washer. Ate clothes and didn't get them clean anyway. Kenmore electric dryer that burned clothes, usually the nicer ones.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grand parents had a set of Kenmore (washer and dryer) they got in 1962 (back when Kenmore was a name that meant something). Was still running until my grandmother passed away 2 years ago

Had it set up to recycle rinse water too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom