Washing machines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a Samsung HE front load washer and dryer that we've been real happy with for 8-9 years (I think). Bought them at Lowe's for somewhere around $2000, a week later Lowe's put them on sale for $800 off. Their policy was if you find it for less within 30 days, they'll refund the difference plus 10%, so I called and asked what if I find it at YOUR store for less? They said bring in the receipt, and they refunded the $800 plus 10%. After ONG rebate, we ended up paying about $650.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a house in 2008 and my grandparents used that as an excuse to upgrade their washer/dryer, so they passed me their 20+ year old units and bought some new fancy HE Front loaders.
They've gone through two sets since and I've had to replace a backflow diaphragm on the ones they gave me. Oldschool Maytags without all the fancy computers FTW!

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speed Queen stuff is tough and well built! They are quality American made. I have one of each, bought within last 2 years.

Both have SS contact surfaces for your wash. Big capacity for both. Older washers have a transmission. The newer ones are belt driven. Pro's and con's to both. The the current washers have a lid lock.

Gas dryer handles a load of jeans/towels in 45-50 minutes. Got a $400 rebate from the gas company on the dryer.

The units they replaced were an Amana washer. Ate clothes and didn't get them clean anyway. Kenmore electric dryer that burned clothes, usually the nicer ones.

Last March we replaced our 15 year old Wirlpool set with Speed Queen.

The machined stainless steel output shaft on them looks like it's a part off an F16. Very well made.

Two huge selling points for me. #1 My wife wanted them. #2 A 7 year warranty that I will NEVER have to worry about or touch the damn thing if anything goes wrong with it. That makes them worth every penny to me. One less thing I'll ever worry about trying to fix myself.

I also got a $400 rebate from ONG on the dryer which made it hurt a little less.

Just like high end optics or weapons, Buy once Cry once $

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The days of buying parts to repair things like alternators and wheel cylinders has almost left us.
Not entirely. I tore apart a Garrent turbo not long ago and the inner oil seal was bad, leaking oil to the intake wheel and it had almost seized up the shaft. I called around asking for rebuilld parts from some local shops who all told me you cant rebuild a turbo LOL. I asked them all to explain how they were selling rebuilt turbos then.]
Finally called Garret and got a rebuild kit for $55.
All the others wanted to sell me a $1200 reman turbo. lol
.Took me a lot of time polishing al the fins and veins with a wire wheel on the angle grinder but saved me $1145. Thinking about going to Pull Apart and see how many turbos I can buy on the cheap and rebuild them on the side for resale on Ebay. Cant imagine a turbo at PA is more than $20 so I could make $1000 profit and if it took me 2 days, that aint bad at all.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have the WP front loader and dryer purchased in 2008 I believe and have had only one problem which was covered under warranty. The wife really doesn't care for the front loader since it has to be wiped out after washing or it'll smell and repairs are expensive if it ever goes out. I asked the repairman that replaced a circuit board in the washer which washer was the best to buy and he said the cheapest since they are not built well anymore.
So it's good to hear of the Speed Queen quality but no more front loaders, I think the top loading machines do a better job of washing clothes.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the WP front loader and dryer purchased in 2008 I believe and have had only one problem which was covered under warranty. The wife really doesn't care for the front loader since it has to be wiped out after washing or it'll smell and repairs are expensive if it ever goes out. I asked the repairman that replaced a circuit board in the washer which washer was the best to buy and he said the cheapest since they are not built well anymore.
So it's good to hear of the Speed Queen quality but no more front loaders, I think the top loading machines do a better job of washing clothes.

Actually, my wife would disagree with you on how the machines do at washing clothes. She likes the front loaders better because they are gentler on clothes and don't get them twisted up. (Then again, I hear newer top loaders don't have a center agitator anymore.) They also use less water.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jut get one of these instead of one of those new fangled electric machine things.
7478016542_9cce4e034a_b.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom