WD40...solvent or lubricant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like using Ballistol on any of my knife blades that might get used for food prep. It has no toxins in it and will do you no harm when it comes in contact with food.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are trying to break a rusty bolt free, try Kano AeroKroil. A friend brought me a black powder rifle that had not been cleaned since shooting a couple years earlier. He had been unable to get the breach bolt out. No problem with Kano.
Best true micro-molecular penetrating oil I've ever used. I first learned about Aerokroil a few years ago working in the oilfield. I was amazed the first time I saw that stuff actually seep and drain into the threads of a rusty nut and bolt and break it free.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sayin it is a lubricant because it solved this problem.

wd40.jpg

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gave my granddaughter a Remington 788 when she moved away, she came back for Christmas and said it wouldn't work, sure enough you couldn't even pull the trigger. took it apart and asked her what she did to it. she said all she had done with was sprayed it w wd40 and put it in closet. with a little free all had it working in short order then sprayed it out with action blaster, a drop or two of oil and its worked great ever since.
WD 40 is not good gun oil, over time, it tends to solidify and seize moving parts.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I KNEW something like that was coming but I decided to ask anyway LOL.
Best to know who those are.

I used lots of WD-40, when living on the coast. After fishing in salt water, I dunked reels in bucket of fresh water. Drain and repeat and repeat. Spray down with WD-40, then gear grease.

Spraying the line kept it strong and supple.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wd-40 makes a great cleaner, makes a great lube / wash when polishing / honing helping to keep the metal particles from sticking in your stone.

Wd-40 is (so far) the best fluid to keep aluminum from gumming up when drilling, tapping or milling.

But I would not recomend for a gun.

I would not be surprised to see that rem oil, singer sewing machine oil, hoppes oil and 3 in 1 oil all the same.

Think I am gonna give 3 in 1 a try

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wd-40 makes a great cleaner, makes a great lube / wash when polishing / honing helping to keep the metal particles from sticking in your stone.

Wd-40 is (so far) the best fluid to keep aluminum from gumming up when drilling, tapping or milling.

But I would not recomend for a gun.

I would not be surprised to see that rem oil, singer sewing machine oil, hoppes oil and 3 in 1 oil all the same.

Think I am gonna give 3 in 1 a try
A lot of the competition shooters use synthetic motor oil for a lube.
Think about it. It remains fluid in sub-zero weather and retains heat protection to 1400*.
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...mobil-1-high-temperature-motor-oil-protectionIf it can last thousands of miles in vehicles, it can surely last a few range trips.
I've used synthetics in competition for many years as well as several on this forum.
It gets no better than that IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom