WD40...solvent or lubricant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw this: Why you shouldn't use WD-40 as a chain lubricant | Pedal Chile |

I can't say I agree because WD40 does leave behind an oil film and not dry like solvent only would do.

"WD-40 = solvent​

WD40 is primarily a solvent, which means that it dissolves contaminates so parts get nice and clean. As a solvent, WD-40 will strip away any existing lubricant, leaving your chain, and drivetrain dryer than before application. This means that using WD-40 as a chain lubricant is worse than using no lube at all."

Looks like WD40 does make a bike chain specific formula...wonder if it contains solvent?

https://www.wd40.com/products/wd-40-bike-all-conditions-lube/
EDIT: geeez...and another??? Maybe for motorcycles...why can't they ahve one for both bikes and motorcycles in one formula?

https://www.wd40.com/products/roller-chain-lubricant/
MORE: This guy says it is mainly kerosine and is the best cleaning choice for a motorcycle chain but still should use dedicated lube after cleaning...I wonder if the WD40 is okay to MIX with chain lube since that would be inevitable if you used it to clean (unless you rinsed it afterwards with degreaser).

I am a cyclist and have been for a good while, I never use WD40 on bike chains which do not see the stresses a motorcycle chain would see. The only right way to lube a bike chain is with chain wax , they come that way from the factory and I strip them about once a year and lube them with the same .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geez Dennis, it's not 1957, lol. Just use a new o-ring chain and lubricate with Boeshield T-9 ( Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication )
In the early to mid 80's, motorcycle chains didn't have the o-ring type. They came out just after that by the same company that sponsored the son and I.
I will say, we had pretty much zero chain failures with little need to adjust for stretching in the 4 years of racing every weekend with weekday practice sessions.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked part time for a couple of local gunsmiths they both loved WD40 because it was a quick money maker.

Guys would bring in their guns and state that it wouldn't function correctly and after peeking inside the action they'd ask the customer what kind of lube they were using and 9 times out of 10 they'd reply WD40.......a patch or two saturated down the bore, spray inside liberally and wipe it down outside, all done with WD40.

Disassemble......clean all the gummy WD40 and filth out of the action and reassemble lubed properly = $50.00.

When the customer picked up their gun both smiths were honest and would tell the customer to save the WD40 for gate hinges and never use it on their guns......some may say that they've used it for years and never had a problem but I've never used it on my guns and won't.
I found the same problem when we hunted rabbits behind beagles. We were using Ruger semi auto pistols. When it was warm, the guns ran fine, but when it got cold, the WD gel'd up and made them inoperable. We did a field strip on them at the truck and got some oil off the dipstick to get back into the hunt.
That oil is not the best for a firearm with the contaminants, but it got us through the day and we both did a major clean and oil that evening.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad used to call it "Panther Piss" --- why, I'm not certain....

About the only thing I've used WD-40 for is a 'starting fluid' for small engines.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I KNEW something like that was coming but I decided to ask anyway LOL.
I didnt do it.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom