We'll give you a discount if you let us track your movements...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. AT&T 2G GSM networks will be shut down in a few weeks (Dec 31st). This means more than just AT&T phones. Cricket, GoPhone, Straight Talk, and Tracfone, to name a few, all have GSM phones that run on AT&T's network. Upgrade your phones if you have any of the older ones.

What does that mean for me and my Nokia 5190?

Woody

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, they don't need to know my acceleration, braking, and cornering forces.

That's why that button "location services" is turned off on mine.

You can still get locations, just not as specific.

I remember some folks here accessing the site to respond to PMs or browse classifieds during their morning or evening commutes. One could get a general idea of their area as their public IP changed along the way.

I believe you can still get it from WiFi connection information. As far as I know, location services only applies to triangulation when it comes to WiFi. I could be wrong on that; been a long time since I was directly involved in mobile app development.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tRidiot and sbeebe,

I'm with T-Mobile so I guess I'm good for a while yet. It's a great phone. I've had to replace the battery contacts and screw the battery down since the plastic catches are too loose.

I went to a pawn shop looking for one to use for spare parts and the shop owner gave me a basket with 5 phones in it. He was happy to have the shelf space available once more I guess!

Woody

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same little bit of information they can get out of that they can likely get out of the older cell phones.

They can trilaterate your position based on RSSI. Carriers sell the data, providing real-time traffic services and other products.

tRidiot and sbeebe,

I'm with T-Mobile so I guess I'm good for a while yet. It's a great phone. I've had to replace the battery contacts and screw the battery down since the plastic catches are too loose.

I went to a pawn shop looking for one to use for spare parts and the shop owner gave me a basket with 5 phones in it. He was happy to have the shelf space available once more I guess!

Woody

The LCDs out of those older phones are great for projects, too.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched some kind of real life murder thing once and they were able to track down a serial killer by his cell phone. Even though he turned it off after his taunts to the police (from another location) they were able to pin him down with the help of the carrier. I should know how this is done but they keep that sort of thing pretty hush hush. If I were to guess, I'd say it's still announcing it's position to the HLR (Home Location Register) so when you do turn it on, it knows immediately where you are. @dennishoddy is right, the only way to completely disable it is to take out the battery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom