well he vetoed it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It appears to be the opinion of a lot of a lot of folks more educated in constitutional law than myself, that firearms can be regulated to some degree.

Being educated isn't the same as being smart or having wisdom.

Where that degree is appears to be the rub.

IMO, folks who believe the constitution has no limits have a superficial understanding of constitutional law.

Speech can be regulated but is generally protected. The searching of a person or property can occur but has built in protections.

Libel and slander are limits to the 1st amendment, not limiting to the baptist religion.
'Unreasonable' is the limit of the 4th amendment, not searching everyone without just cause.
Murder is the limit of the 2nd amendment, not who may 'bear' and how.

Why the second amendment would be any different, I don't know.

That said, I generally agree with the notion that the second amendment has been eroded more than others although I don't see this veto as being an example of that.

Michael Brown

Then maybe you don't really understand the meaning of the 2A. The 'shall not be infringed' part says it all I think.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then maybe you don't really understand the meaning of the 2A. The 'shall not be infringed' part says it all I think.

I guess I'll have to simply have to follow the lead of those far more educated than me and agree that it can be regulated to some unknown degree.

Michael Brown

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to simply have to follow the lead of those far more educated than me and agree that it can be regulated to some unknown degree.

Michael Brown

I don't understand that philosophy. I'm not trying to start a pissing match, but blind faith has never been a trait of mine.
And I abhor unknowns, especially from folks that have authority and like to wield that power. Look what it's doing to health care.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some legislators, LEO's, government officials. To name a few.

I am not permitted to carry openly when not at work.

If what you're arguing is that a uniformed LEO is not different than any other non-uniformed person, I'm not sure what to say since LEO's take on responsibilities others do not. The whole power and responsibility being commensurate deal.

If you're trying to argue that you should be able to open carry BECAUSE a uniformed LEO does, I simply have to chalk your posts up to whiny bickering.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand that philosophy. I'm not trying to start a pissing match, but blind faith has never been a trait of mine.
And I abhor unknowns, especially from folks that have authority and like to wield that power. Look what it's doing to health care.

I don't think you have to have blind faith in anything.

That said, I find it a little persuasive when just about all of the Supreme Court Justices agree.

When a person has devoted his/her life to a topic and chosen to do it as a profession and has successfully done so for years, I take their opinion much more seriously than someone on the internet whose experience I don't know.

When my doctor tells me I need to take Lipitor and the benefits of the Lipitor are greater than the risks and the other doctors I talk to agree, I take the Lipitor.

I don't go to the internet and take the opinion of a bunch of unqualified people who tell me how dangerous it is to take Lipitor.

Michael Brown

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you have to have blind faith in anything.

That said, I find it a little persuasive when just about all of the Supreme Court Justices agree.

When a person has devoted his/her life to a topic and chosen to do it as a profession and has successfully done so for years, I take their opinion much more seriously than someone on the internet whose experience I don't know.

When my doctor tells me I need to take Lipitor and the benefits of the Lipitor are greater than the risks and the other doctors I talk to agree, I take the Lipitor.

I don't go to the internet and take the opinion of a bunch of unqualified people who tell me how dangerous it is to take Lipitor.

Michael Brown

This all makes sense, with one fatal flaw. Generally one has to be a damn lawyer before one can be a judge; let alone a Supreme Court Justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom