well he vetoed it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember high fiving sad brad for anything in his terms. He just vetoed the BIG incentive for manufacturers to come here, in case you didn't notice. You're right, this bill is a very baby step, but it's the only step that went to bradley's desk.

Was there something further in the bill I wasn't aware of? I seriously doubt that open carry would have brought any new manufacturing, firearms or otherwise, to the state.

Brad Henry is a yutz, is wrong on most issues, and hasn't done a lot to move the state forward. Other than this, where has he had a negative impact on Oklahoma's gun owners?

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
he was talking about the gun bill he vetoed before the open carry bill...:patriot:

Ah. That makes some sense then. Henry was wrong to veto that one, though those laws really don't accomplish much either. We give the feds the finger, they laugh and send us to bed without supper. What is the citizen prepared to do about it? Not much, I'm afraid.

The power given to the fedgov to regulate interstate commerce has been seriously abused by the congress, the president(s) and the courts. The Constitution is not without its flaws and that was probably the biggest.

The founders, being the type of people they were, didn't expect the citizens to roll over for it like we have. They expected it would be correct at the ballot box or other means.

That strays from the topic of this thread though.

I'm not opposed to open carry, I just think there are better issues (as discussed before) to spend effort on.

Overall, our governor is a dweeb, I'd never argue that with anyone. He will be gone in a few months, and if this is all his potential replacements are bringing the state will be no better off.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The House has started the ball rolling on overrides of last Friday's vetoes with a 72-24 vote today on the federal health care resolution. Maybe we'll see some action today on OC.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i mean really, the idea that a criminal wont illegally concealed carry, but WILL illegally open carry is ridiculous.

I am afraid that my head is literally getting ready to explode by the information over-load, because if our politiciand and law enforcement can't get this, there is no way I could understand it.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given that over 40 US states have open carry with no ill effects, i think many of us are very interested to know precisely why some folk believe it's a bad idea for Oklahoma.
Can you explain that for our benefit, please?

I'll give it a shot (pun intended):

There is no central, empirical database for incidents involving citizen uses of force so "ill effects" is non-provable either way.

Of the states that have open carry, a number of them have local ordinances that allow a municipality or other political sub-division to outlaw open carry. Because of this, the gun-o-phobes that aspire to political office in these areas usually support legislation against open carry thus making open carry less likely in the larger urban areas where the majority of criminal activity and interaction between law enforcement and the citizenry occurs.

Oklahoma has a pre-emption law regarding firearms so while I don't have a whole lot of concern over someone open carrying in small towns where everyone knows everyone, I think it will lead to some misunderstandings in larger metropolitan areas. If Oklahoma did not have this pre-emption, I would support open carry. I don't believe the streets will run red with blood but I think a certain number of avoidable misunderstandings will inevitably occur.

IMO, concealed carry shows some level of discretion.

I believe discretion is one of the most important qualities for anyone who carries a firearm for personal protection.

From some of the comments I've read on this forum in regards to open carry, it appears as though many folks would open carry just to make a statement, which in my opinion is the opposite of discretion. Thus I believe this obvious lack of discretion makes open carry a bad idea.

That said, I'm a firm believer in the legislative process and if our elected legislators decide open carry should be the law in Oklahoma, so be it. As is, I don't have a great deal of heartburn over the issue and don't oppose or support it with my vote but I don't think it's a good idea.

Michael Brown

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot (pun intended):

There is no central, empirical database for incidents involving citizen uses of force so "ill effects" is non-provable either way.

Of the states that have open carry, a number of them have local ordinances that allow a municipality or other political sub-division to outlaw open carry. Because of this, the gun-o-phobes that aspire to political office in these areas usually support legislation against open carry thus making open carry less likely in the larger urban areas where the majority of criminal activity and interaction between law enforcement and the citizenry occurs.

Oklahoma has a pre-emption law regarding firearms so while I don't have a whole lot of concern over someone open carrying in small towns where everyone knows everyone, I think it will lead to some misunderstandings in larger metropolitan areas. If Oklahoma did not have this pre-emption, I would support open carry. I don't believe the streets will run red with blood but I think a certain number of avoidable misunderstandings will inevitably occur.

IMO, concealed carry shows some level of discretion.

I believe discretion is one of the most important qualities for anyone who carries a firearm for personal protection.

From some of the comments I've read on this forum in regards to open carry, it appears as though many folks would open carry just to make a statement, which in my opinion is the opposite of discretion. Thus I believe this obvious lack of discretion makes open carry a bad idea.

That said, I'm a firm believer in the legislative process and if our elected legislators decide open carry should be the law in Oklahoma, so be it. As is, I don't have a great deal of heartburn over the issue and don't oppose or support it with my vote but I don't think it's a good idea.

Michael Brown

Well put Mike. Steve

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well put Mike. Steve

To say that I am just a little bit surprised by your opinion and interpretation of the Constitution would be an understatement.

RKBA- let's fall back on the literal definition of "bear arms". I find no definition of "bear" meaning that we must conceal. If you think otherwise, then I suggest you read this: "Sensible Regulation of Books"

http://marbut.com/ModestProposal/

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to work in Missouri... but they govern at a city and county level. If a city wants to add conditions to open carry or outlaw it outright-that choice is made at the LOCAL level.

Oklahoma govt is not based on a strong county system.... sounded good in 1907 to write it that way....maybe it's time to take a look at how we do business here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom