What are the Dove prospects looking like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Numbers seem lower this year were we are in central OK. As said before, the abundance of water has allowed them to scatter and stay that way. Should be excellent weather for our first dove hunt this weekend. We're hoping that with things drying out they will go back to their original patterns. we had an abundance of mourning doves last year. have yet to see a white wing on our property.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pigeon, dove, same thing! Eat up! Wonder if they're any good?

We blasted a bunch of pigeons last year during duck season over a corn field(ducks were slow, pigeons were plentiful). One of the guys with us who cooks and eats everything known to man, took some to cook. His reply was never again, said it was the toughest, chewiest animals he's eaten.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like he cooked them right. Dove meat is delicate. Most people overcook it to the extreme - and that makes it tough and chewy.

Don't know why people want to cook it like they cook chicken, it's NOT chicken, it's foul and should be cooked more like duck or quail.

Done right it just about melts in your mouth.

iluvlabs

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like he cooked them right. Dove meat is delicate. Most people overcook it to the extreme - and that makes it tough and chewy.

Don't know why people want to cook it like they cook chicken, it's NOT chicken, it's foul and should be cooked more like duck or quail.

Done right it just about melts in your mouth.

Notice he said pigeons, not dove.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We blasted a bunch of pigeons last year during duck season over a corn field(ducks were slow, pigeons were plentiful). One of the guys with us who cooks and eats everything known to man, took some to cook. His reply was never again, said it was the toughest, chewiest animals he's eaten.

That is somewhat surprising, being that they are from the same family. Not sure what a pigeon's diet consists of but wouldn't figure it to be that different from a dove's. I think pigeons get a bad rap as rats with wings, but I bet they are eaten regularly somewhere in the world!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is somewhat surprising, being that they are from the same family. Not sure what a pigeon's diet consists of but wouldn't figure it to be that different from a dove's. I think pigeons get a bad rap as rats with wings, but I bet they are eaten regularly somewhere in the world!

sweet and sour pigeon

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had both, can't tell the difference. same Genus. I wouldn't eat a New York pigeon (or downtown OK pigeon for that matter) - but field pigeons are mighty tasty! Their diet has everything to do with their taste

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought they would taste the same, I was surprised to hear his report. He eats deer liver, kidneys...........can even make goose taste first class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom