What do the scope numbers mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I got a new rifle and need to get a scope for it. I really know nothing about different scope types.

I have two questions.

1. Anyone have an opinion on Swift Optics scopes?

2. What do the numbers in the description men? Such as 4-12x40

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I got a new rifle and need to get a scope for it. I really know nothing about different scope types.

I have two questions.

1. Anyone have an opinion on Swift Optics scopes?

2. What do the numbers in the description men? Such as 4-12x40

Can't offer an opinion on Swift, but the numbers are the amount of magnification (in this case, adjustable from 4 times to 12 times the apparent size of the object being viewed) and the size of the objective (in millimeters; the larger, the more light admitted through the scope and the brighter the view of the object)

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Swift Optics, but I suggest LOOKING through several different brands and SEE for yourself the difference. Get the best scope you can afford and you like the clarity and reticle (the crosshairs, post, dots = aimpoint).

On a side note to your scope selection; what type rifle? caliber? intended use?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If at all possible, check out some different scopes at dusk or dawn. If you're going to hunt with the scope, you'll want one that really provides clarity in low-light situations.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard of Swift Optics but since you're in Edmond you should go by Heartland Outdoors and talk to them about scopes and such. They are usually very helpful and should be able to give you lots of good info and maybe help you choose a scope to match your rifle and what you plan to do with it.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say, since you don't seem to have any experience/knowledge (no offense meant) of scopes, to start looking at some videos on youtube for basic info, hit up Google for optic reviews, go to dealer sites like midwayusa.com and read customer reviews. That would be a good start.

If you don't have alot of money for a scope, try to stick with well known companies, they all offer cheaper scopes too ie. Burris, Nikon, Redfield, Pentax, Leupold, Tasco, Bushnell...and they offer pretty good glass too.

Don't jump for a scope too quickly. Make sure you know what you need first and then want.

From what I've read on them mostly good.....

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have Swift Premier 6-18x40.

It is better than some of the other budget scopes I've had.

Clarity/brightness is better than my Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 and Bushnell 6.5-20x40

It blows away the two BSA scopes I've had - both are long gone and glad to see them go.

The other number to pay attention to is the tube size. Typical sizes are 1" and 30mm. At this point, your concern is matching rings to the same size.

In regards to rings/bases/mounts, I'll quote myself here:

Base - what mounts to the rifle

Rings - what attaches the scope to the base - named for the "ring" that clamps around the body of the optic

Some examples of different kinds of Base / Ring combinations.

Standard or dovetail:
www.mwgco.com_mm5_graphics_00000001_Weaver_Dovetail_Bases_Scope_Rings_Remington_700_la.jpg

Weaver:
[Broken External Image]

Picatinny:
swfa.com_images_sssfv3.jpg

As you can see, the Weaver and Picatinny systems are very similar. In a true Picatinny rail, the grooves are the same size and spacing. The Weaver is not the same spacing. The grooves are also slightly smaller for the Weaver base, which means - as KurtM said - that you can mount Weaver rings to a Picatinny base, but the other way around could require modification to the base.

There are also scope mounts, where the two above parts are one piece:
[Broken External Image]

Oh, I'm also moving the thread to the "Gear" section.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you can buy FTF, don't discount a used scope.

A lot of guys trade mint scopes off for no other reason than to get something different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom