What do the scope numbers mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say, since you don't seem to have any experience/knowledge (no offense meant) of scopes, to start looking at some videos on youtube for basic info, hit up Google for optic reviews, go to dealer sites like midwayusa.com and read customer reviews. That would be a good start.

If you don't have alot of money for a scope, try to stick with well known companies, they all offer cheaper scopes too ie. Burris, Nikon, Redfield, Pentax, Leupold, Tasco, Bushnell...and they offer pretty good glass too.

Don't jump for a scope too quickly. Make sure you know what you need first and then want.

From what I've read on them mostly good.....

Best advice so far - unfortunately, we don't have a lot of Brick/Mortar places to buy tons of different brands/models of various scopes so you'll likely not get a chance to try them out in person. Thank goodness it's 2013 and the internet has a lot of places that thoroughly review stuff (be careful because there's also a lot of BS out there by folks who claim to be experts).

Think about a few things before you even start to look at various scopes:

What type of gun is this scope going on (make/model/caliber/barrel-length/)?

What you want to do with the gun that the scope is going to go on (compete, plink, target-shoot, hunt, etc.)?

What is the shortest/longest distance you will want to use the gun?

What conditions will you be shooting (light/dark/cloudy/sunny)?

How durable will this need to be (is it on a gun you're going to keep in the safe and only get out on rare occasions to the range, or are you going to be dragging it around on an Elk hunt, etc.)?

How much do you want to spend (you want to get a good value either way - something you will be happy with, but that you can re-sell if you aren't happy)?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No matter what scope you choose, I would definitely get turrets that match the reticle (MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil). The use of the rifle it will be going on will definitely determine what kind of scope you are getting.

MOA being "Minute of Angle" which is roughly 1" at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, etc. A Mil is short for a milliradian. 1 Mil = 3.6" at 100 yards, 7.2" at 200 yards, etc. The Mil however, can be used for whatever measurement you choose as it is a unitless measure. MOA can be used for other forms of measurement other then yards, but usually isn't because the math is more difficult then Mil. Example, 1 Mil = 3.43 MOA. If you know the dope on your rifle in MOA, you can divide it my 3.43 to get your mil info.

A mil is 1/1000 of something...anything.

1 mile at a 1000 miles
1 yard at a 1000 yards
1 inch at a 1000 inches

Take 1 yard at 1000yds.....thats 36".

Moving the decimal place over you can see how that becomes 3.6" at 100yds.

3.6" equals 3.43 MOA....since MOA is an angular adjustment. 1 mil equals 3.43 MOA at any range.

This is confusing I'm sure and it took a lot of reading and playing around on my part to understand it fully. Just make sure you do the first thing I said, it will make your life a lot easier.

On a side note, I prefer Mil/Mil, but everyone is different on this.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best advice so far - unfortunately, we don't have a lot of Brick/Mortar places to buy tons of different brands/models of various scopes so you'll likely not get a chance to try them out in person.

Academy on NW Expwy has a bunch you can look, touch and view in the gun area. I noticed this last week when I stopped in and remembered this thread.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Academy on NW Expwy has a bunch you can look, touch and view in the gun area. I noticed this last week when I stopped in and remembered this thread.
true, why the edmond academy keeps theirs under glass is a mystery. the nw expswy and norman stores have them all connected to tethers so you can check them out. btw, the swift "premier" series is a fine scope,lifetime warranty and made in the USA if i'm not mistaken.the other swift lines are made on the other side of the pond.i have 4-12x44 on a rem 700 in 243. check it every year and have never had to readjust.

Latest posts

Top Bottom