What do we do after?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a police officer who has been involved in an on duty shooting, the suspect was killed, my best advice is to make a VERY brief, concise statement as to what took place and then have a really large cup of shut the F*** Up! Not making further statements until legal representation is available does nothing to change the facts or evidence as to what happened. I can assure you that your state of mind will be more like an out of body experience. During this time you are fully capable of making statements that can come back to haunt you later. Allowing yourself to be questioned by police during this time is not a wise decision.

aturp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have just read through all eleven pages of this thread and what MB has said is pretty much right on with what they told us the CC class. I think it also makes the most sense.

OologahBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh Gawd! I don't know why I do this to myself...I guess I'm just a glutton, but...anyway...here goes! Say you as an SDA licensed member stand about 6'5" and weigh about 300 pounds and you get assaulted by a guy that's 5'8" and weighs in at around 160 pounds soaking wet...can you smoke him with your gun? Or will a court of law kinda look down at you for that? I mean...being that you (if you are this size) are almost TWICE AS BIG AS HIM (or her, for that matter) do you think that maybe you can resolve this altercation some other way? How do you think this would make you look in a court of law?

This question came up in my SDA class where as a friend of mine in the class was used as an example, he is 6' 7" 450 lb's they told him if a person half his size was coming after him with a gun or knife that using deadly force for him was not the same weapon it might be a bat or something else. Because of his size deadly force for him is not the same weapon

marvinvwinkle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can be killed by a kid. Just ask some of soldiers. If you have to use deadly force some attorney will try to make you look bad regardless. You do what you have to do, but do it to stay alive.

tdkitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that you should have a lawyer and not make a statement until you have spoken with that lawyer. Also if you have to use your weapon in this case you should make sure the BG isnt breathing when you are done pulling the trigger.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
QUOTE=jhat;1110222]Doug Friesen is absolutely correct. I am a criminal defense attorney who can tell you that as a general rule, it is not a good idea to make statements to the police if you are or may become a suspect. If a dead body is involved the scrutiny will be high and any misstatements made will be forever memorialized in the police reports which the District Attorney will review for purposes of prosecution, and the officers will review prior to any and all testimony. Some people are not good at explaining events or properly conveying a thought, especially if they have just killed someone. Some police officers do not accurately reflect statements in their reports. Massad Ayoob advises against making a statement after a shooting. He advises a cooling down period and time for proper reflection as to the events. He of course advises that one should consult an attorney prior to making a statement. Most attorneys would want to make a recording of the statement so that nothing will be misconstrued or taken out of context. If you must use deadly force the first thing out of your mouth should be that you feared for your life or the life of another. If a police officer has a problem with you asking to consult with counsel, that is an officer that I wouldnt trust.[/QUOTE]

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i havent got my carry permit yet .one thing i did think about though is if i typed on here that i would make sure and KILL the BG then i did kill a BG the DA could have a feild day with that statement.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i havent got my carry permit yet .one thing i did think about though is if i typed on here that i would make sure and KILL the BG then i did kill a BG the DA could have a feild day with that statement.
Then I suggest you get the moderator to delete your post and this one also, as it quotes your post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom