What does concealed really mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So after a little over three months, I finally recieved my permit on Thursday!

I read all 36 pages of the OSBI law book. "Fully Concealed" is the only term that I saw pertaining to what this really means.

Does this mean fully covered? Is there not allowed to be any disruption of the way your clothing lay on your body? I currently carry a Glock 23 which I can pretty easily conceal on my waist while wearing a fleece, but I guess it could be visible depending on how my body is positioned.

I know that I am getting very technical here, but I just want to make sure I am following all laws in their entirety. Input is appreciated, especially from LEOs.

Thanks Everyone

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it means completely covered so that the weapon isn't visible in whole or in part. Meaning the bottom of the barrel can't be sticking out below your shirt. Also, I THINK it means you shouldn't be "printing" too much either. Meaning the outline of the weapon shouldn't be visible under your cover garment.

Now I carry a 5" 1911 daily and some might say it prints slightly, however I have not had any questions brought to my attention. Now it is getting colder so jackets and sweatshirts make it much easier to cover without an outline of my weapon.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding of the rules. The LEO's and the SDA instructors will be much better at the actual rules of this, but like I said, this is how I understand it.

Good luck

pbaumei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as long as you cant tell its a gun, its OK. it could be a radio, phone, walkman (if anyone still even has one), or anything else, as long as you cant tell what it is. spandex is never ok, carry or not.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One thing to consider here. Even though you should do everything possible to make it look like you are not carrying, how many people do you think walk around looking at people's waistbands trying to determine if they are carrying a pistol on their belt? How often have you done this before or since getting your CCW? I think the majority of citizens don't even think about someone around them carrying. It ends up being a chance circumstance that they become aware of someone carrying a pistol. Yes, we should use every means to stay concealed, but I don't think everyone is eyeballing everyone. My $0.02.

todd740

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
...spandex is never ok, carry or not.

:laughup:

Back in MN I would occasionally open carry and you would be surprised how few people even noticed, after that I am not worried about printing anymore. Nobody pays attention and if they do they either carry themselves or would assume it is something else.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hidden from the view or detection od another.

That being said, unless it's blaitantly exposed, no one will notice unless they are like me and sometimes make a game out of trying to determine who is and isn't carrying. Personally i have a nice collection of ugly shirts with long tails and patterns on them. I wear one over a t-shirt and an OWB paddle holster and a Sig P229. No one is any the wiser. It's amazing how little people notice (Other than the ugly shirt).

Just be careful of wind gusts... :-$

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really appreciate the opinions everyone!
What are your opinions about the actual definition, which I admit I had never seen before. "hidden from detection and view of another person" I know this comes down to a legal interpretation, but do you believe that this means that another person cannot detect that you are carrying "something" or they shouldn't be able to be sure that is it a concealed handgun?

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My take on it is they should not be able to identify the "thing" as a firearm. It can protrude somewhat and "might" be a cell phone, radio, belt pack, one of those Gerber tools, or any other possible item that isn't a gun. The only think I always watch for outside of strong wind gusts, is if the handle is printing on the back. So now I adjusted my paddle holster to a forward cant so that solved that problem. Looks pretty much normal now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom