What Is the Cheapest Way to Watch TV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're on Direct right now and it is too expensive. They just dropped channel 4 and like every provider we have ever had, they don't drop the fee any as they cut channels. They don't even send us a monthly statement in the mail. We do automatic withdrawals to pay the bill. Has everybody gone to streaming? If so, what service still get your local news and the channels you like. We have Firesticks on two TVs for movies and some shows we like. I've heard of Hulu, Netflix, and some of the others but, don't know about their monthly fees.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a friendly neighbor?

Over the air with a homemade TV antenna in the attic. Hangers and PVC tubing and that scrap piece of 300 OHM TV antenna cable you have been moving around your shop since the 60's

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have YouTube TV that costs $72.99 per month
Local channels plus many cable type channels are on there
Has a dvr like function so you can watch saved shows that you missed
If you’re going to only stream make sure your internet provider has unlimited data
Cox has a data limit and if you go over they start charging you extra for the data overage
AT&T has unlimited data usage
Most of our tv watching is local using antenna

AdvRider918

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Install digital antenna for local channels. 2. Subscribe to high quality internet. 3. Get a Roku or AppleTV and rotate between streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Amazon Prime, Max, Showtime etc. It takes some managing but you can work it so you're never subscribed to more than 2 or 3 at a time. Couple hundred in upfront costs and you'll be paying less than $100 a month.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're on Direct right now and it is too expensive. They just dropped channel 4 and like every provider we have ever had, they don't drop the fee any as they cut channels. They don't even send us a monthly statement in the mail. We do automatic withdrawals to pay the bill. Has everybody gone to streaming? If so, what service still get your local news and the channels you like. We have Firesticks on two TVs for movies and some shows we like. I've heard of Hulu, Netflix, and some of the others but, don't know about their monthly fees.
Left directv year or so back. Switched internet provider to t-mobile. Went with youtubetv and been good since. Sign up offer had good pricing with monthly fees.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't have that much spare time. I put hours into restoring my old Jaguar every day. When I get tired of working on stuff I like to come in and at least watch the weather and fake news. Later at night my wife and I like to watch movies. For me it's too hot to go to the range and I can't afford any more hobbies.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1634.jpeg

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought an LG tv, it’s a smart tv connected to internet, has a bunch of free channels. Tubi is a free streaming app. Need to hook up an antenna but otherwise a pretty decent selection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom