What Pissed You Off Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$315 for speeding. 34 in 25mph zone.

9 mph over was $315???? Holy SMOKES! Was this a school zone or construction? Wowzers!

My guess is that it was Lawton. When I worked at the OSBI, I saw lots of cases where some communities set much higher fines then even the county or state did. Lawton was one of those communities.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9 mph over was $315???? Holy SMOKES! Was this a school zone or construction? Wowzers!
Years ago, an OHP Trooper was in a class with me, and he said that the secret about those fines being doubled in a construction zone was that only the fine itself (which is often a minimal part of the money paid) is doubled.

The bigger issue is that some DAs and municipal courts have figured out that they can tap that revenue stream just like law enforcement, so most of what you're paying isn't the actual fine, it's all the associated fees that get tacked onto it. There was a move to squash that in Oklahoma a few years ago, but I don't know what happened to it. It's probably like the move to squash civil forfeiture--deader than dirt. I know a friend of my dad's was up in arms because his grandson got a $200 ticket for going 1mph over the limit, but that was a few years ago.

As the old saying goes, don't steal--the government hates competition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom