What state would you pick to hunt for a monster Mullie buck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New Mexico I'm not real familar with I'm guess your talking up around red river area. I spent some of my youth at philmont scout ranch and really liked the area up there. Do you need to draw for a tag. I don't want anyone's honey hole but if you used a guide I'd like to hear what your willing to share with us.

I haven't been to Wyoming since I was a kid fishin new fork lake. Is it a draw there too?

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen the pictures from there and I'm amazed at the trophy sized mule deer in ok. But I need public land to hunt. Has anyone hunted the Dakotas?

HardKnox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retired from Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City SD. Lot of big mulies to the east of the Black Hills. Resident tag was easy to get back in 09 but I have heard from friends the winters have been rough on the herds, especially the antelope. Tags may be a hard draw now but it sure is beautiful up there and worth a try. There are several places to hunt up there as the land is leased by the Bureau of Land Management for all to use. Good Luck.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would ignore the 3 states you're thinking of right away. Every state with mulies has some monsters, but the 4 Corners states are by far your best bet. Arizona strip or Kaibab tags and pretty much every tag in Utah are practically impossible for non-residents to draw, so unless you have the spare change for an auction tag, scratch those states off the list, too. Northwest New Mexico has the most record class bucks for its population in the country, and good amount of public land. Land owner tags and trespass only hunts are available, but can get pricey, same with Colorado. Most of the primo units in Colorado are in the eastern part of the state, which is almost entirely private land and isn't cheap to hunt. If it were me, I'd start applying for a tag in New Mexico, and save up for a fully guided hunt in eastern Colorado. I'm generally a DIY hunter myself, but a guided hunt can be pretty damn nice.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'll be checking into New Mexico, sounds like thats the place I'm looking or..

If you have a lot of money, and really want a true monster, book yourself a hunt on the Jicarilla. The units in NW New Mexico are very weather dependent. You need a bunch of cold, snowy, crappy weather to push them off the high country. If you just want a good, respectable buck for the wall then there's lots of places for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom