What the *&$# is on Fire!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oaks and elms will go, but not like cedars.
I have some pictures of some oaks going up on a wildfire I was on a couple years ago. I was on an engine on structure protection across highway from fire line waiting on fire. Trees were around 30 to 40 feet tall and had green leaves on them. When fire line hit them in the same conditions as today, they exploded and had flames shooting around 80 feet in air. If it weren't for being on a highway and having around 200 feet of pavement and short grass, I would not have been in fire line. My job was to turn fire from house and let it keep going, not to try and put out which was all but impossible.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The chain saw stays sharp and on the ready just for these occasions! I will destroy my landscape if it means I may save my house. saw a few pople last year that were going full blast with the plow and brush hogs just knocking down everything they could around them to save their house and barns after the railroad tracks caught fire.

Yeah, it's good to try and keep it from spreading when it's happening but even better to mow it down before hand. A 75 to 100 foot swath between tree lines and yards cut to 3-4 inches and raked up can do a whole lot to stop it if it does get started and another 75 to 100 feet around structures cut like a lawn will save homes. The fires near the refuge a couple years ago took some houses near someone I knew. The house that fared the best had a huge lawn all the way around.

It's just like the burn bans, can't do things reactionary have to be precautionary.

From my understanding though the controlled burn was yesterday but should have been planned out a bit better (day before supposed to rain) or had the fire department involved to make sure everything would be out by days end. Now some people have lost their homes and someone is going to be on the hook for it all.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have some pictures of some oaks going up on a wildfire I was on a couple years ago. I was on an engine on structure protection across highway from fire line waiting on fire. Trees were around 30 to 40 feet tall and had green leaves on them. When fire line hit them in the same conditions as today, they exploded and had flames shooting around 80 feet in air. If it weren't for being on a highway and having around 200 feet of pavement and short grass, I would not have been in fire line. My job was to turn fire from house and let it keep going, not to try and put out which was all but impossible.

Seen it twice since 2009 in Major Co. You can here it coming. Nothing like drafting water out of an above ground pool in conditions like today. That fire burned over 72k acres IIRC.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Million acre fire that started in Osage county from a cig thrown out a window back in the 90's. Started on HWY 60 and went way into Kansas.

We rode horses cutting fence to let the cows have a place to escape.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Million acre fire that started in Osage county from a cig thrown out a window back in the 90's. Started on HWY 60 and went way into Kansas.

We rode horses cutting fence to let the cows have a place to escape.

What year was that? Were cars invented yet???:laugh6:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, 1990's not 1890's...........lol, I'll stop while ahead.:) Amazing how many acres in the Osage are controlled burn every year without issue too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ranch hands burn the ditches now to prevent another fire like the last one. The million acre fire was in the fall. Ranchers had to sell their entire herds because they had no grass, and nothing was going to sprout until spring. "certain" outside interests bought some of the ranches because of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom