What to get my 10 year old for his first deer rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 12 year old did really well with the Weatherby .308 but the next boy down isn't as strong with firearms. With that in mind I have been looking at various calibers to get him so the recoil doesn't scare him. From everything I have read the .243 is the average caliber for new young deer hunters. I realize I could let him shoot a .223 but it would need to be a "better placed" shot versus a something that might be a bit forgiving on a "not-so well placed" shot. Other calibers I have been looking at are the 25-06, 257 Roberts, and 6mm. It is a pretty easy decision for the .243 since I could drive down the road right now and grab a Ruger American for $300. Between the American, Axis, X7, 770, and the ATR I figured the Ruger was a better buy.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 12 year old did really well with the Weatherby .308 but the next boy down isn't as strong with firearms. With that in mind I have been looking at various calibers to get him so the recoil doesn't scare him. From everything I have read the .243 is the average caliber for new young deer hunters. I realize I could let him shoot a .223 but it would need to be a "better placed" shot versus a something that might be a bit forgiving on a "not-so well placed" shot. Other calibers I have been looking at are the 25-06, 257 Roberts, and 6mm. It is a pretty easy decision for the .243 since I could drive down the road right now and grab a Ruger American for $300. Between the American, Axis, X7, 770, and the ATR I figured the Ruger was a better buy.

Start him out with a .22 or .22 magnum. Then after he gets proficient with him try to find someone to load up some light loads for the .243. And put a nice recoil pad on there for him. If he's just now starting out better have him burn a brick of .22's in one day then start on the .243 the next.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 6.5 X 55 doesn't recoil any more than a .243. It's sporterized in a Choate tool stock with a 20" bbl. This year I hunted with a Marlin 94 carbine in .357 mag. Kicks like a .22 mag, lite and easy to carry, Shot a decent buck and small doe. Both were DRT. Course both were very close shots with iron sights.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Start him out with a .22 or .22 magnum. Then after he gets proficient with him try to find someone to load up some light loads for the .243. And put a nice recoil pad on there for him. If he's just now starting out better have him burn a brick of .22's in one day then start on the .243 the next.

No I totally agree. We have 10/22s and many bricks of ammo. He still isn't as comfortable as his older brother.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
mossberg atr 243 youth. inexpensive,accurate and low recoil. as he grows, you can put a full size stock on to take him through his teenage years.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I totally agree. We have 10/22s and many bricks of ammo. He still isn't as comfortable as his older brother.
My dad always told me "if you cant put 5 rounds into a paper plate at 100 yards don't go hunting!". And that was with an open sighted 8mm mauser. I shot religiously until I could shoot the neck off a beer bottle then shoot the body that was left at 75 yards. And that was when I was 18! Remember the little guy may be apprehensive with a centerfire rifle as they have quite a kick. If he hasn't shot a centerfire put him on a scoped .22 then turn him loose on a deer with the centerfire but don't tell him. Might be a dirty trick to some but it would keep him from flinching. just teach him to always hold the rifle tight against his shoulder.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recoil is very subjective; remove it from equation - put a quality muzzle brake on the 308 you already got. Wear ear protection.

If you are set on buying another gun in a game caliber, don't buy a hunting gun, those have too low of the comb and too light for a small person; buy a 10+lb target rig - the weight will eat most of the recoil and the stock will be more inline with the barrel reducing the "jump"; IMHO "jump" what induces flinch not the rewards recoil.

223 will take deer cleanly at close range with proper shot, but I believe it's too high risk for a beginner, and have been in lengthy debates over it ;)

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of the 22-250 or 220 Swift for starters/younger kids. A 55 grain Hornady soft point at 3600-3800 will enter about 2-3 inches before it begins to come apart. It dumps the entire bullet energy into the animal (roughly 1500-1700 ft/lbs) VS shooting a larger caliber straight through and losing some of the energy to the exit. With this; the kids can keep the shots under 150 yards, not freak out or flinch over recoil, and learn to hone their skills. Once they learn to be good shooters you can move up the caliber and distance they will shoot and the 22-250 can be moved to coyote, etc and the range extended to 500-600 yards. This idea serves to teach them longer range shooting. So if they get a big daddy hung up out there at 400 or so yards one day they will have the experience to make those longer shots.

22-250, Swift, 224 Wby
243 or 7mm-08
Some 30 caliber
338 or 375

Building a long relationship with a mild caliber puts a solid base under their belts when they want to move up. A 22-250 is not exactly a super loud cartridge either when compared to say a 30 caliber and it will drop a deer like a stone with a clean heart or lung shot every time.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with MoBoost. I used to argue that the .223 wasn't enough rifle for bigger bodied deer. I was wrong. My friend's 9 year old son and 8 year old daughter have now taken 5 deer with their 223's. One was a big 5 1/2 old 11 point that certainly proved me wrong. They've never needed a 2nd shot on any of them. A few have ran...but not more than 50 yards or so. Of course, shot placement is key.

Latest posts

Top Bottom