What to look at (mossberg bolt action .22 issues)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*Edit* This is mossberg 46-b 2-slr.

So, my dad decided to give me his fathers rifle, and I'd like to start shooting it. The problem is that I don't know the true condition and I'm no gunsmith. It looks clean to me, and seems to be in great shape, but that doesn't mean all that it should. Now for the back story...

Apparently my grandfather (died when my dad was 8) used this to procure food for his band of travelling tobacco farmers and his family in the 30's and 40's, and it ended up in his brothers hands when he died. His brother proceeded to put a scope on it, and that is where I am told it got screwed up. I have been told that when he added the mount / rings he had to "grind" the bolt so it fit, and that now when it is fired there is some blow by from the modification. At the same time, I have also been told that no such thing occurred and it's fine. My father hasn't shot it since he was a boy, but knows it didn't have a scope when he did.

When I look at the bolt it doesn't look out of the ordinary, but then again, I'm not sure what ordinary may look like. Is there something I can look at to validate it's good to go? Alternately, can someone point me in the direction of a good gunsmith that won't cost me an arm and a leg to look it over? I am hoping to get it running right and keep it in the family for quite some time.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Top Bottom