What we did with the first whitetail of the season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your first batch seems to be a little on the dry side, you might want to add some ground fat to the mix. I have my venison burger mixed with 20% pork fat, so I don't need to add any.
If you don't have any ground fat, add a little cooking oil or bacon grease.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That ain't it. The one I copied stole was very heavy on black pepper.

I'm gonna try this one too though, I might dice some jalapenos and mix them in. For those without smokers the liquid smoke and doing it in the oven is still very good eating. If you are going to cook it in an actual smoker it just ditch the liquid smoke and that's it.

About 275* is all I can get out of my friends smoker. I am sure this would be ok, I would just need to alter cooking time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 275* is all I can get out of my friends smoker. I am sure this would be ok, I would just need to alter cooking time.

Mine maxes at 300. I just smoke them at 225 degrees until they hit at least 150-160 in the center (using a digital probe thermometer). The curing salt is what keeps the meat from spoiling.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That ain't it. The one I copied stole was very heavy on black pepper.

I'm gonna try this one too though, I might dice some jalapenos and mix them in. For those without smokers the liquid smoke and doing it in the oven is still very good eating. If you are going to cook it in an actual smoker it just ditch the liquid smoke and that's it.

The one I posted has worchestershire sauce, or how ever you spell that damn word, no red pepper flakes but a couple tablespoons of black pepper.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That might have been me on the summer sausage.
3lb ground venison
1 tbs liquid smoke
2 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
3 tbs Morton tender quick curing salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp mustard seed
1 cup cold water

Mix well and divide into 3 equal rolls.
Wrap in aluminum foil with the shiny side in.
Place in fridge for 24 hours
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Poke holes in bottom of foil, and cook on a rack over a broiler pan for 1 1/2 hours. Let cool and eat.

I've made this many times and its really good. I want to try the high temp cheese from LEM in it.

I made a double batch and used mustard powder instead of seed (because that is what I picked up off memory) and I doubled the cayenne pepper for a little more kick. Turned out great. Truth is, I mixed up 6# of ground elk for jerky with a different recipe and 6# of ground elk with the above recipe for summer sausage and put both in covered bowls in the fridge overnight. I completely forgot which is which the next day. So I went any many miny moe when rolling out summer sausage and shooting jerky strips. Lmao. Both turned out great!
20131025_215109.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom