What will you shoot your deer with this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be taking my .300 Blackout that I built a couple of years with the intent of using it on a deer. I just need to decide on (and find) a good ammo choice before Saturday. (this is the first year I'll be able to go during gun season. wooohoooo)

Ive heard good things about the vmax as well. I used to load that bullet but I now load a Hornady 125gr SST. We killed 2 deer with that bullet last year and I have no idea how many pigs. I do know that Fiocci, or however you spell it, loads a bullet with that slug in a 25 round box for like under $20. A friend of mine used to shoot them.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
.350 Remington Magnum? Are your deer armor-plated, or are you just looking to kill them and gut them in the same shot?

Nah just going thru the rotation, try to change it up each year :) It's not as beastly as it sounds. Same energy as a .300 win mag at closer ranges with 200gr bullets. Drops off pretty quickly in comparison after that though. It's what a .35 short mag should be, ahead of it's time.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive heard good things about the vmax as well. I used to load that bullet but I now load a Hornady 125gr SST. We killed 2 deer with that bullet last year and I have no idea how many pigs. I do know that Fiocci, or however you spell it, loads a bullet with that slug in a 25 round box for like under $20. A friend of mine used to shoot them.
I'm surprised every time I see what that little 85 gr. Sierra Game King does to my deer out of my 243......

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people think heavier bullet choices are better, but my daughter's use Hornady's 110 V-Max in their Blackouts. A shot through the vitals does massive damage to the organs. My youngest shot a buck a couple years ago, thinking it was a doe because both his antlers had been broken off, and hit him square in the shoulder at 160 yards. The shock of the impact flattened him on the spot and I found the V-Max under the skin on the opposite shoulder.
That's actually the round that I was thinking of using. If I had known a little further in advance that I was going to be able to hunt where I'm going, I would have tried out a couple different rounds before now. Now I'm hoping whatever I am able to find locally will do the trick (assuming I get to shoot something).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the stand I'll be using.
New stand will be the .243WSSM in the AR Platform W/Nikon Monarch 4X24X50 because I might need the long range.
The small 22 acre place will get the .300 savage in a sporterized WWII Arisaka action, classic weaver K1 scope with the wire crosshairs and the S&W .45LC for close work.
Grandpa's corner gets the Winchester Pre-64 Classic in Super Grade wearing a Simmons Atec 2.8X10X44 scope.
Like Okie 4570, each season brings a new gun out of the safes for its turn to draw blood.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grandpa's corner gets the Winchester Pre-64 Classic in Super Grade wearing a Simmons Atec 2.8X10X44 scope.
Like Okie 4570, each season brings a new gun out of the safes for its turn to draw blood.

What caliber in that pre-64?
Yeah, me too. I pretty much try to carry something different every year. This year will be the .280 Ackley Improved, loaded with 120-grain Sierra's. That bullet wasn't my first choice, but I ran out of time before I found a load that shot the 140's
well. After regular gun season, I'll try to find some 140 and 160-grain loads that shoot well.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What caliber in that pre-64?
Yeah, me too. I pretty much try to carry something different every year. This year will be the .280 Ackley Improved, loaded with 120-grain Sierra's. That bullet wasn't my first choice, but I ran out of time before I found a load that shot the 140's
well. After regular gun season, I'll try to find some 140 and 160-grain loads that shoot well.
.270. I've got to get out and shoot it for accuracy. I was given quite a few awhile back, so need to sort them out and shoot the best for deer season. 275 yards max range in that area, so that's a chip shot for that caliber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom