What would you do? Trespassers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnhowdy138

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently got hunting rights to some property from my co-worker. His cousin owns the land and doesn't mind us being out there. So I go out there with my daughter and set up the blind when I hear kids walking in on where we were hunting. I asked if they know the owners and they said yes? So I ask do you have permission to be on this properly? Again they said yes. So I text my co-worker and ask him does your cousin want anyone on this property other than us? He said no she doesn't tell them they need to leave. So I tell them in the nicest way I could. Hey I just talked to the family that owns the land and they dont want you on here. They say ok and I follow them back to my truck and watch them go down the road. 10 minutes later I hear voices and go to my truck and here comes the dad. He walks up introduces himself as do I and says whats going on? So I tell him about what the owner said and how she doesnt want anyone on here but us. He says well I am getting tired of all this we have people speeding up and down the road with children playing and there is also a truck that looks like yours stealing things out of peoples property. I assured him it wasn't me that I have only been here twice and both times were during daylight hours. He also says and there is an s.u.v pulling an a.t.v on a trailer blocking my gate and the next time it happens he is towing it with his tractor. I tell him go ahead I dont own any of those vehicles. He says we might have to get the sheriff involved and I will need your tag number. I tell him thats fine let's go up to the dirt road and meet him up there. He said well we won't worry about it now because I am going to talk to my neighbors who knows the family that owns the land. I said ok do you still want my tag number? He said no and walked off the property. I thought it would be over? Nope now fast forward one week me and my co-worker go hunting on the property and notice there is trees pushed over broken at the middle of the tree and trees dragged into deer bedding areas. So we finish our hunt and didnt think much of it. Fast forward to today. I get to the entrance of the property and there is dead trees laying down into the entrance making it impossible to pass? What the hell? I am pissed now but I have no way of knowing who did it although I have a pretty good idea who it was. Now I should say that on the property there are no...no trespassing signs that I have seen. Sorry for the long story but what would you do?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well first off, talk face to face with the landowner and not through a family member. Ask for written permission. That would also be a good time to visit about who else should be on the property.

You can also make them aware of what is going on and how to proceed.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I never do things right. So I wouldn't take my advice but I would go tell that dad that you don't know who's is doing this stuff but your going to put out cameras and if you can catch who is doing it your going give them a lesson in respect with a baseball bat. but that's just my opinion as I hate people like that.

cptnhowdy138

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bassin we are going to get written landowner permission and put up some signs. We were thinking about putting cameras up but don't want them to get stolen. Haha this guy is a mountain it would take more than me swinging a bat plus I am not a very violent man. When we put up signs and possibly cameras would we contact the sheriff or game warden if it continues to happen?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Written permission is a must, and as bad as I hate to say it, the sheriff and/or game warden needs to be involved in this. I try to avoid law enforcement in personal "disputes" as much as possible, but it appears this "neighbor" might need someone "official" to explain to him who is and isn't supposed to be on the property and the consequences of his actions.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd move on to another place and forget about it. Even if you do get it sorted out, you'll always be wondering if it was really settled, if your vehicle is safe when parked, etc.......... it's not worth it. Go find a place that you and your daughter can enjoy without the drama.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. Tough situation. If it were your land you'd definitely have some more options. Of course, I know what you mean about finding a place to hunt... it's not as easy as some folks think. I mean, I'm sure lots of guys here have no trouble, especially if you've been in an area for many years and/or depending on your vocation and the people you hang out with, etc. Personally, I know next to nobody where I live with land that I would feel comfortable asking for hunting rights. In my field, I don't associate with those 'type' of people much, either. Like, not people who live out in the country, have land, go hunting or own guns much, etc. It's just not the 'crowd' I am around much. Also, I'm not a very outgoing person (shocker), when I am off work, I'm usually so beat and anti-social I barely leave the house if I can help it. Hard to make friends that way.

Oh well. Good luck OP, hope you can resolve things and be able to hunt safely.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. Tough situation. If it were your land you'd definitely have some more options. Of course, I know what you mean about finding a place to hunt... it's not as easy as some folks think. I mean, I'm sure lots of guys here have no trouble, especially if you've been in an area for many years and/or depending on your vocation and the people you hang out with, etc. Personally, I know next to nobody where I live with land that I would feel comfortable asking for hunting rights. In my field, I don't associate with those 'type' of people much, either. Like, not people who live out in the country, have land, go hunting or own guns much, etc. It's just not the 'crowd' I am around much. Also, I'm not a very outgoing person (shocker), when I am off work, I'm usually so beat and anti-social I barely leave the house if I can help it. Hard to make friends that way.

Oh well. Good luck OP, hope you can resolve things and be able to hunt safely.

You would be surprised at how many of your associates actually own land. Not saying they would let you hunt there, but I know a couple that own a LOT of land.

For the OP. Get a lease on the land. Doesn't matter if its $20 a year. Then you control who goes in and out depending on how the lease is written up. There are standard forms available for free or low cost on the internet.
The landowner can possibly override you, again, depending on how the lease is written up, but it sounds like the land owner is content with you being there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom