What's in your feeder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This year will be the first that I put a feeder up. Corn is obviously the #1 recommendation. I have heard that some hold deer better in the area though if they also put granulated molasses in with the corn as it sweetens things up a bit and the animals can smell it a good distance off. Any idea on this? Also does anyone know who stocks or can order granulated molasses as everywhere I have called does not have it anywhere near OKC?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't use throw feeders anymore, for the last few years I just throw my wheat cleanings and corn in to pile. They get the wheat worked into the ground and they continue to return even when it appears to be gone on the surface. Will the granulated molasses clog up your down spout on your feeder? I would think it would get sticky, just thinking out loud, I've not used it before.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing is in my feeder yet. Corn is just too high for me to want to put it out yet. Not for sure now but Stillwater Mill use to sell the dry Molasses you were asking about. I'm sure the deer could really smell it but I once read that a deer can smell a kernal of corn covered with 12 inches of snow. Pretty good nose.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been putting corn in my feeders with a little rice bran sprinkled on top. Not too much or it will draw moisture and clog up the feeder. Just a little on top of the corn. It will filter down through the corn as the feeder goes off each day. Deer love the rice bran. They've been hitting my feeders hard all summer. Between all our feeders, I've been going through about 200 lbs each week.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the moment I'm feeding out a couple of calves and each one is getting about 18 pounds of rolled corn per day. Both of them will be having a bad day soon and then maybe the deer will start getting fed. Last I bought was 21.80 a hundred but that was cracked.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At this time I can only really afford to put out a feeder maybe a month prior to blackpowder season with a camera and then leave it out there through rifle season. At that point in their cycle would rice bran be needed? I know they like it and am looking for something to hold a few more deer close to the hunting areas which is why I thought I might sweeten it up some with the granulated molasses. I would be willing to try rice bran as well, but I thought that was more to beef them up during the summer months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom