What's so special about HK 416/556 AR rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Searching around gunbroker, I saw where the HK piston AR uppers are selling for $3000+....

Can anyone help me understand, beside it saying HK, what makes this piston upper any better then an American offering? I'm at a loss in why people are dropping so much coin on an upper.

I'm also a member at HKPro, but wanted to ask here because I they are a little intense about anything with 'HK' on it.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Jesse, I know you and I are big HK fans, but i don't see the hype in their AR.
I guess it's because some variation of the HK AR is used by SPAYSHUL FORCES, therefore it is worth more!
Edit; actually in my limited mechanical aircraft maintenance tech mind, after researching all of the piston AR's, settled on the Addax/PWS piston upper.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're a big HK fan, I can see paying the high price.

I had the oppurtinity to tear down an MR556 the other day. It seemed well built and had a good feel, but it did have a premium price for the name on the side.

There were two features on it worth mentioning as I don't recall seeing them on a factory AR before.

First, the takedown and pivot pins require something to be inserted in them before they release. A punch or a 5.45x39 round work, but the 5.56mm bullet isn't narrow long enough to work. To me, it was a little obnoxious because I just wanted to see what was on the inside, but I can see the appeal of them.

Second, it had a firing pin return spring. I'm assuming this is to prevent slam fires and might even function as a sort of drop safety, but I wasn't quite willing to pay for the gun if I broke it testing my theory. :)

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea... not worth it to me... The German's can over engineer almost anything. For what it is, a 5.56mm battle rifle, I'll just keep good ol' AR-15's... Now if you wanna talk roller lock, that's a different story. Love my HK Roller Locks...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll say that having fired one, I'm not impressed. The recoil and severe ejection indicate to me that the system is not optimized. IMO, they erred too far on the side of reliability, at the expense of shootability and parts longevity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom